Unsolved

Closed

F

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2023 15:00

XPS 9560 hard drive not found

XPS 15 9560

XPS 15 9560

Bought this new in 2018. Obviously the warranty is long gone. Over the years I've used it maybe a couple of hundred hours at most - I only use it when traveling. And yet, when I turned it on today it refuses to recognize the hard drive. I have tried everything I can think of:

Running diagnostics, doesn't find the drive at all.
Upgrading BIOS to the latest version.
Downgrading BIOS to the most recent 3 versions prior to the one it used before the upgrade.
Booting from a Windows recovery USB, which can't do anything because there is no hard drive.
Changing BIOS settings to legacy boot, etc. etc. All the things that various youtube videos suggest might help. Didn't make any difference.
Opened the chassis and checked the physical drive connection. It was fine, but I detached it anyway and attached it again to be sure. No difference.

To be completely clear, this is what happens when I turn it on:
Dell logo displays.
Then it boots into the diagnostics by itself, starts the procedure and stops when it discovers there is no drive. Pressing "ok" or "continue" it then shuts down.

The last time I remember it working there were no issues at all.

I have a hard time accepting that just a couple of hundred hours of operation is enough to break a drive. But what can you do..

Question: is there anything at all left for me to try? Could it be something else than the drive? Don't want to invest several hundred dollars in a new drive for nothing.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 22nd, 2023 15:00

If diagnostics cannot find the drive then more than likely the HDD has failed. Usually though you will see an error number to confirm the drive failure. And HDD are mechanical drives they may give warning signs before failure or they may just fail suddenly. And unless you are looking at a very large HDD the prices are nowhere near several hundred dollars. Assuming the HDD has failed consider an SSD. You can find a decent size drive such as 1 TB or 2 TB priced under $100 to around $125.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2023 16:00

Prices vary depending on where you live, you know. Of course I looked into the price before going on about it. And the price I'm looking at for a replacement 512gb M2 drive is roughly $200. Plus shipping. So, it is indeed a good deal past several hundred.
Anyway, not interested in discussing prices.

There is no error number. Dell's software simply reports the drive as not found.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2023 03:00

Just something to point out, many folks have had problems with the boot drive not being seen.  There may be several reasons for that so not easy to suggest a fix.

Do you have a USB drive with the Install media on it?  If so, can you boot to that, then run some commands from the command prompt window, such as the one below?  It might show if the boot script has the necessary components to boot the drive.

bcdedit

Attaching a picture would allow us to analyze your BCD store.

I suppose while you are in the command prompt, you could also run Diskpart to see if it can find the drive.

Diskpart

list disk

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2023 12:00

I chose to pick up a drive from a semi-local store (30km drive), replaced it, and it works. Case closed I guess.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 23rd, 2023 13:00

Happy it all worked out!

No Events found!