Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, BIOS 1.3.0, sleep mode gone?

I just bought my XPS 15-9570 with BIOS 1.2.2 installed, and I updated it to BIOS 1.3.0. I realized that the "sleep mode" option is now gone. I need to set this to "Force S3" sleep to prevent the laptop from waking up randomly, or don't go to sleep properly. So can I do that in the new BIOS?

IMG_20180805_165645.jpg

10 Posts

December 19th, 2018 13:00

I have the same problem with the Dell XPS 15 9570, since I upgraded to the BIOS 1.6 version. When I close the laptop, the fans remain on, but let's say that is not critical. What worries me is that many times I take the laptop out of my bag and it's too hot.

I have not read much about Modern Standby, but I think it would work better on desktops.

Dell when you made the decision to remove the S3 state and leave the Modern Standby. I wonder if they tried to close the laptop and put it in a bag immediately? Does the laptop overheat? Is it practical?

Enable S3 mode, while improving the status of Modern Standby.

Luis Toro

December 20th, 2018 05:00

I put my in a neoprene sleeve as usual... It almost melted! This "modern standby" is a DELL/MICROSOFT pyromaniac featury. I'M VERY FRUSTRATED!

December 21st, 2018 04:00

With this machine you have two options as power management: ON and OFF, ON when you are using (screen on), OFF when you are not using, thats becouse you must to turn off you XPS or it will dren the battery and turn off by it self, in this case  maybe you have a oven in your bag. Forget everything about start a job, take a break closing the lid and restart the job next day just opening the lid. this is not trustable at XPS 9570.

26 Posts

December 29th, 2018 07:00

Have been struggling with my 9570 for months now. Have been religiously following BIOS releases hoping for a fix. A laptop is not a phone, I don't want it to behave like one. I've found mine uncomfortably hot, with fans spinning at 100% numerous times after putting it to sleep + into my bag. The "modern standby" has made sleep completely unusable for me. My workload now includes shutting the machine down or hibernating it every time I need to move - even if the laptop is unused for a few minutes, I dont trust it not to wake up in my bag. This "feature" makes the XPS unusable in my daily life. What makes it even worse, is that the BIOS POST time is ridiculously long too, meaning every time I power it on, it takes like 30 seconds to boot into Windows. Kudos DELL for ignoring the issue for so long. What an amazing laptop would this be, if it could sleep...

January 2nd, 2019 22:00

Same here, both on my XPS 9570 and 9370... Can't be true for their best models. Should be fixed soon.

I will be Tweeting them to hopefully get some attention.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 07:00

The models are modern standby systems.  They do not normally sleep but stay in a low power mode which should not cause them to heat up.  Bluetooth devices can bring them out of modern standby and cause some problems.

The systems with an 8th generation processor seem to have more capabilities regarding functionality in Modern Standby than the 7th generation processors.

January 3rd, 2019 19:00

Don't care, sleep does not work. Period. Users should not have to worry whether its modern or S3 or whatever.

Fact is, the thing keeps waking, spinning fans and using power hence heating up inside a bag. Whoever did QC or ignored the QC reports

This is not even mentioning the fact that most people DO NOT WANT their laptop to act like a smartphone. But regardless, at least when it sleeps, MAKE SURE IT STAYS ASLEEP. 

Not impressed re: this issue or the GPU cold throttle issue (at least the latter is promised a BIOS fix, but then again, it was INTRODUCED by 1.6, again, who the heck is testing these releases).

As it is the unit is just buggy enough to be frustrating (without bothering to do a full return). Will be going back to ThinkPad at this rate next time.

1 Message

January 4th, 2019 15:00

I've been waffling between the X1 extreme and the i9 xps. And if you search Lenovo's forum there's a few posts from a couple of days ago detailing horrendous support. Enough to make me think twice. That and my Mum has been using her Vostro for years and we've had no issues with my wife's Inspiron 5000. I guess these days it's a bit of luck. But I'm thinking Dell for me.

January 12th, 2019 10:00

I thought my bag was on fire when I picked it up in the morning. Everything in it was overheated. This feels like an exploding Samsung Note debacle just waiting to happen.

1 Message

January 14th, 2019 04:00

Hi @robert p

How can achieve this in Ubuntu 18.10 ?

It drains the battery if I "sleep" the laptop during 2-3 days, and even it is warm. I am worried this can cause a fire at home.

Thanks forehand

Rafael Rios

9.4K Posts

January 14th, 2019 05:00

Hi Rafael,

Try this from the Ubuntu Forum.

12 Posts

January 14th, 2019 05:00

Hello Robert,

I read your post, the one you say "Dell has decided to support the "Modern Standby" from our partner Microsoft.".

Could you please inform the people from Dell you are connected to that I am writing an article about it and I will soon inform every airline company?

It is DANGEROUS and it can lead to fire if a laptop resumes itself, suddenly, while it is in a bag or even worse while it is in the overhead compartment. Could Dell ignore this?

The XPS line will be likely treated (banned) as the well known Samsung Note 7.

If you want to "support" a new feature just ensure it is safe and working before forcing the user to use it and deleting BIOS settings or, using a bit of common sense, just leave it off by default and let the user EXPERIMENT unstable modes like this. At least, it should be a choice, don't you think?

Thanks

January 22nd, 2019 01:00

Same problem here. Waiting for Dell to fix it.

1 Message

January 25th, 2019 11:00

Same problem on my side, obliged to use the hibernate option to ensure that it will not melt in my backpack... This is a pity. Probably my last Dell.

14 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 20:00

Came back to my own post half a year later, and realized the problem is still ignored by Dell. Luckily i made the right choice to return this laptop right after I noticed they removed the S3 option. 

What I do not understand how Dell can ignore this issue as this is a serious safety issue, imagine if you put your XPS into the 'modern sleep' and leave it in your luggage on a flight.

Probably the best workaround is to use hibernate instead of sleep.  

No Events found!