Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, BIOS 1.3.0, sleep mode gone?

I just bought my XPS 15-9570 with BIOS 1.2.2 installed, and I updated it to BIOS 1.3.0. I realized that the "sleep mode" option is now gone. I need to set this to "Force S3" sleep to prevent the laptop from waking up randomly, or don't go to sleep properly. So can I do that in the new BIOS?

IMG_20180805_165645.jpg

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 10:00

Received 9570 5-Apr … set up system then closed lid. Fans running never went to sleep. So searched for Dell 9570 Sleep and here I am.

Modern Sleep was never intended for a laptop, in particular a high performance laptop.

Received CRA 8-Apr and returning to Dell. Pretty limited choices out there so will have to do serious research as this lack of S3 support should be front and center to customers.

Somewhere there is a Product Manager that needs to be immediately terminated for such a ridiculous decision to implement Modern Standby on the XPS series.

73 Posts

April 8th, 2019 11:00

Yeh, this laptop is truly half baked. Unfortunately I didn't have time to follow up on any of this but I will have more time now and am going to be chasing support for solutions to all these issues, not that I am hopeful they will deliver.

How many laptops get articles talking about resolving the issues .... you missed the audio issues :p

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Frank-Azor-claims-that-Dell-has-fixed-many-DPC-latency-related-issues.415861.0.html

9.4K Posts

April 11th, 2019 03:00

Hi macastroham,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Microsoft has changed the S3 sleep mode we're used to with the Modern Standby, which has different features and works differently.  Here is information from Microsoft about Modern Standby.

489 Posts

April 11th, 2019 04:00

Dear Robert, 

> Microsoft has changed the S3 sleep mode we're used to with the Modern Standby, which has different features and works differently.  Here is information from Microsoft about Modern Standby.

We are aware that with MS/CS Dell is just following the development at Microsoft and Intel. But here we need you to to get the message back to them, that MS/CS isn't as good as S3 in certain very important aspects, like battery drain, bag-safety. Debug tools like SleepStudy are over the top for an average user, and even if an "offender" is found there is often little user can do except for sending emails to support, often with zero effect (have you noticed the page count of this thread???). We want them to go back to the drawing board, at least allow user to force unconditional DRIPS state. And we are asking you to re-enable S3 until this is fixed, like Lenovo did. 

489 Posts

April 11th, 2019 04:00

>  non-functional Premier Color software that doesn't work with now over 6 months-old latest Windows build 1809, with no update in sight.

Notice that this is the perfectly regular state of DPC disrepair. The update usually comes by the time when the next Windows feature update comes around. 

So better learn to live without DPC. Best uninstall it and use hardware colour calibration, using accompanying software like DisplayCal. It is also possible to use just the (rough) colour profiles embedded somewhere in the DPC program folder, apply them in Windows Color Management, as lang as you can find colour-managed programs for everything colour-relevant you do (this doesn't provide the LUT for non-CM windows programs). 

April 23rd, 2019 17:00

Just wanted to add that I too have experienced a hot laptop which I assumed had gone to sleep, but had actually not thanks to the inferior so-called, "Modern sleep." My laptop almost started a fire via papers on my desk! It's so hard to understand why Dell would take the Samsung "just ignore the exploding phones" strategy instead of just fixing it (which would be simple). If I were a shareholder, I'd be worried. This could hit the bottom line once fires start breaking out.

27 Posts

April 26th, 2019 10:00

@shim.sim wrote:
Not holding my breath but ...... https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-is-reportedly-working-to-bring-back-S3-sleep-to-the-XPS-15-9570.416301.0.html

Ya, not holding my breath either, and still running Bios 1.2 so I don't lose S3.  Would be nice to get and updated bios AND proper sleep.

Though, tbh, it looks like the newer bioses are plagued with other issues too - so maybe I should just stay on 1.2...

Also, found a semi-solution to modern standby sucking.  I just put my XPS in to airplane mode before sleeping.  It's a pain in the **bleep**, but at least the **bleep** stays asleep.

73 Posts

April 30th, 2019 01:00

21 Posts

April 30th, 2019 02:00

No don't worry... It's jusr another worthless update, which could cause more problems at the end. 

That's nothing more than ridiculous Dell... But what am I talking. They don't care anyway about what we are saying here

21 Posts

May 4th, 2019 06:00

27 Posts

May 13th, 2019 09:00

Update.  Gave up on trying to use S0.  Even with airplane mode and mute it was waking up in my bag, or when I was trying to sleep the fan would come on every 5 seconds.

So.

I cleaned off everything except data + work apps. 

Used disk2vhd to take an image of the disk and store on my NAS.

Used bios to force S3 (Yes, I'm still on bios 1.2 and refuse to upgrade till Dell brings S3 back)

Reinstalled Windows from scratch.  From ISO from MS.

Also took the opportunity to /also/ install a Linux partition so I can test if Linux is ready for the desktop yet.

So far, so good!  Laptop SLEEPS.  Like, actually SLEEPS.  When I close the lid, it goes to SLEEP and DOESN'T WAKE UP EVERY 5 SECONDS!  

Previously, when I'd just forced S3 without a reinstall I'd get strange issues with the display flicking to black for a second every min or two after waking from sleep.  That has not been happening after the reinstall.

Only issue so far is that the sound drivers are wonky.  Flat out doesn't work right.  Tried MS supplied realtek drivers, and they worked for a few mins and then stopped.  Tried the Dell drivers - same deal.

Have a USB headset, though, and that's been working fine in the short term.

Once machine was reasonably happy I copied the VHDX back over, extracted req'd files, etc.  Easy-peasy!

Also heard a rumor that Dell is actively working on reenabling S3 in the newer bioses.  So maybe 1.11 will have S3 back!  Fingers crossed - I'd love to upgrade past 1.2.

73 Posts

May 13th, 2019 19:00

thanks @ZDC  that is actually a good idea .... clean install .... i recall reading something about windows setting S3 at the time of install..... just didnt have the time to try that but i might also hold on for newer BIOS with S3 enabled before doing that, I dont really want to run on an older BIOS, could be some security issues going forward.

Come on Dell .... 1.11 enable S3 again !!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

73 Posts

May 15th, 2019 23:00

Yes, but other manufacturers have realized the issue and extended support for S3, not to mention the fact that other operating systems still use S3. Just Google Lenovo S3, forums are full of their customers also complaining with the result being a new BIOS with S3 support coming back.

1 Message

May 15th, 2019 23:00

I understand everyone's anger at Dell for taking away something that is very useful. However, the real issue is that Microsoft has changed Windows 10 and they are the ones responsible for the loss of S3.

Read the article at this link.

Capture.JPG

Dell doesn't have much choice when it comes to installing Windows 10 on new laptops. They have to follow the protocol mandated by Microsoft. If they were to back date the BIOS to do what we want a lot of users would face reinstalling the OS and that would be a bigger support problem for Dell. I have a one year old XPS 15 9560 with Linux Mint 19 installed and sleep works like we all want it to, not the way Microsoft wants it to. A problem that goes back to the original days of MS-DOS and the first version of Word is that Microsoft wants you to do things their way, not the way you want it to work. I am really happy I don't live in the Microsoft world.

No Events found!