Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2019 22:00

XPS 15 9570, No HDMI output

Hello, This is probably an issue with the user more than the hardware but I will ask anyway. I've just received an XPS 15 9570 and went to connect an external monitor to the onboard HDMI port and get no output through it. I have swapped cables and this makes no difference, but I know the cables and monitor are good as I have connected the external display via a USB-C hub which is working as expected, output on the second monitor and all is well. But I would expect the onboard HDMI port to be working. Have I missed something incredibly obvious or should I think about returning the laptop under warranty for a replacement?

Cheers, Dave

3 Posts

January 18th, 2019 03:00

Thanks for your suggestions. I've been on the phone to Dell Support and now have an engineer coming out on Monday to swap out the motherboard. Not a great start for a brand new laptop, but can't fault their service so far.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 17th, 2019 23:00

@dbos10 wrote:
The display is not showing up in Windows Display Settings, and I have tried a standard HDMI cable and also an HDMI to DVI. The cable / monitor is not the issue as I know it works if I swap it to go through the USB-C hub. I think I'll need to go through support and see what they say and try and get a replacement / repair. Thanks

The reason I asked about the cable is that I remember a thread where two XPS 15 9570 owners indicated that HDMI to DVI cables didn't work, even though normal HDMI cables worked fine and despite the fact that HDMI up to 1080p is electrically identical to DVI, so HDMI to DVI really shouldn't be an issue.  I also wasn't sure what USB-C hub you were working with and whether you were using the same cable going through there, as opposed to using DisplayPort or something on that side.  But it sounds like you've conducted all of the appropriate tests in that case.  Sorry!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

That should just work.  If you open Windows Display Settings, is the display attached via HDMI even detected even if no image is sent to it?  Does NVIDIA Control Panel show anything different?  If the display is detected, it might for some reason have been set to "Do not use this display", in which case the fix would be to select either Mirror or Extend mode instead.

If it's not detected at all, are you just using a basic HDMI cable, i.e. using the HDMI input on the display, or are you trying to use any sort of adapters/dongles or a cable that has HDMI on one end and some other connector on the other end?  If you're just using a bog standard HDMI cable into an HDMI input on the display, and you've already swapped cables, AND you've verified that the display works in other situations (still using its HDMI input in the other tests?), then you may indeed need to either exchange it or get warranty service on it.

3 Posts

The display is not showing up in Windows Display Settings, and I have tried a standard HDMI cable and also an HDMI to DVI. The cable / monitor is not the issue as I know it works if I swap it to go through the USB-C hub. I think I'll need to go through support and see what they say and try and get a replacement / repair. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 18th, 2019 10:00

I will check a couple of my systems for the HDMI capability, but for now you are using the latest 14 Jan Intel driver release?
No Events found!