Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

8 Posts

July 30th, 2018 00:00

XPS 9570 Speaker and Headphone Static

Hi Everyone,

My brand new, specced out (i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD) 9570 arrived two days ago. Within hours of operation, the speakers (and when headphones were plugged in) had static/crackling. I thought it may be fixed with a  driver update. After updating the Realtek drivers, they seemed OK for an hour or two, and then it got really bad again. 

I'm new to PC, so feel like maybe I've gone somewhere wrong in the driver updates, but I shouldn't have to be fixing a top spec laptop out of the box. If anyones had any success in fixing this issue, it'd be great to hear your solution! Looked everywhere online and have tried numerous methods with no luck as of yet (with most 'solutions' they were just temporary work-arounds). 

I've filed for a replacement, but if I can get it working before proceeding that'd be awesome, as I've heard people having the same issue with replacements. 

Cheers! 

9.4K Posts

July 30th, 2018 09:00

Hi tobybarnhill,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you tried clicking the Spatial sound on Speakers/Headphones Properties and selected 'Windows Sonic for Headphones' with the 'Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound' box checked. Then, click apply.

Here is information from the knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell XPS 15 (9570) Usage and Troubleshooting Guide

1 Message

August 7th, 2018 13:00

I've also the same problem. And I've changed the settings within the Audio pane as well. Still have that problem. MY XPS 15 9570 is less than a month old. 

August 7th, 2018 17:00

They're sending a technician to my house to install a new motherboard once they can get one. If that doesn't work out I'll attempt to see if a replacement unit does the trick, otherwise I'm going back to Apple. 

Hi Robert, apologies for the late response. 

I heard that often having this ON triggered the problem. I've had it on and off a variety of times. however since updating all of the drivers I haven't done so. I'll give it a try though and report back if there's improvements. 

On another note, would you know why my microphone is now unresponsive? 

Cheers

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Both of you have seen the comments about Smartbytes being the source of the problem.  I know from my testing it does cause static and if you end the task or remove it, the static should stop.

However, there are some posters that say removing Smartbytes did not help.

Never saw anything about that being the source of the problem. I'll give it a try! Cheers.

August 8th, 2018 02:00

Robert,

Doing the suggested solution appeared to worsen the issue. Changed it back and there's much less static. 

September 11th, 2018 14:00

This actually worked for me and made the sound quality in headphones better. Still a little perturbed that static suddenly became part of my listening experience on such a new computer.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2020 15:00

I'm having the same issue with my new dell xps 15 and I only had it for a month.

October 4th, 2020 17:00

Thank you! We have received the details you shared. We will continue the conversation via private messages as the interactions may include user as well as Dell centric information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!