Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

March 11th, 2019 08:00

XPS 9570-Thunderbolt Driver not showing in Device Manager

Does anyone know what is the name of the Thunderbolt Controller/Driver in Device Manager? Can't see any entry with a "Thunderbolt" label, thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 11th, 2019 12:00

I don't have one of my Thunderbolt systems running right now, but do you see an icon on the Taskbar in the hidden icons section?

Do you currently have something plugged in or in Device Manager have you tried looking at the hidden devices.

When I want to check my Thunderbolt install, I open the User Interface and look at the About option on one of the pages.  You may have a Thunderbolt app on the Start Menu you could use to get the hidden icon.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 11th, 2019 14:00

Interesting, I don't see anything in Device Manager on my Thunderbolt-equipped Latitude 7480 running Windows 10 either.  It might be different if I had a Thunderbolt peripheral attached, but I don't have one handy at the moment.  HWInfo64 doesn't show it either.  However, if you launch the Thunderbolt Software app to spawn a system tray icon, you'll be able to click Settings > Details to see various information about your Thunderbolt controller and software.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

March 12th, 2019 17:00

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes, the Thunderbolt software is installed, and I can enable the hidden system tray icon for it, but the issue I'm reporting is that in Device Manager there's no reference whatsoever to the Thunderbolt driver. I currently have an Anker USB/HDMI/Ethernet hub connected to the USB-C (Thunderbolt) port of the XPS 9570

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 12th, 2019 19:00

@alegator wrote:
Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes, the Thunderbolt software is installed, and I can enable the hidden system tray icon for it, but the issue I'm reporting is that in Device Manager there's no reference whatsoever to the Thunderbolt driver. I currently have an Anker USB/HDMI/Ethernet hub connected to the USB-C (Thunderbolt) port of the XPS 9570

Those Anker "mini-docks" devices are just regular USB-C devices, not Thunderbolt devices, so they wouldn't interface with the system's Thunderbolt controller even if they're connected to a USB-C port that supports Thunderbolt.  Just out of curiosity, why does the lack of a Thunderbolt controller in Device Manager constitute an "issue"?  It seems that for whatever reason, it may be normal for the Thunderbolt controller not to appear in Device Manager, at least when there isn't an actual Thunderbolt device connected.  Are you asking about this because your Anker device isn't working the way you expect and you're thinking that this might be part of the reason why or something?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 13th, 2019 07:00

My Thunderbolt controller shows up in the System devices section of Device Manager if I turn on view hidden devices.  The driver is shown in the properties.

1 Message

March 13th, 2019 21:00

I don't see anything in Device Manager on my Thunderbolt-equipped Latitude 7480 running Windows 10 either.  It might be different if I had a Thunderbolt peripheral attached, but I don't have one handy at the moment.  HWInfo64 doesn't show it either.  However, 9apps if you launch the Thunderbolt Software app to spawn a system tray icon, you'll be able to click Settings > Details to see various information about your Thunderbolt controller and software.

No Events found!