XPS

Last reply by 07-07-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

XPS 9570 black screen with Intel graphics panel color adjustment

Good morning
These days I have reconfigured my XPS 9570 from scratch.
I formatted and installed Windows 10 May 2020, and I manually updated some drivers via Support Assist (as I usually do), then I also updated Windows all, latest version of October (20H2).
Everything seemed to be working fine until I went through the Intel graphics panel to lower the saturation which in my 4K screen is a bit high. And well when I go to move the saturation slider the screen becomes completely black and remains so even when restarting the system not being able to see even the Windows login screen. The only solution is to start Windows in Safe Mode and uninstall the Intel video driver.
Analyzing the problem well I realized that in the Intel graphics panel the scale of the screen controls values ​​have changed, for example the saturation slider when positioned in the center had a value of "0" while now in the center it displays the value "50". Apart from that, the problem is that when I act on any color adjustment slider, the screen becomes hopelessly black.
I tried to replace the video driver with the latest one published on the Intel site, but the problem remains. Having the bios to version 1.17.1 I tried to go back to 1.16.2 but I haven't solved that either.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Hello I found a solution
Today I installed an update for a graphics card from this site
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
And then I installed this app:  intel graphics command center from the store 

And problem solved now the colors of the screen can be adjusted

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (37)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Exactly the same issue here, but on XPS 9700  17.
I downloaded some updates from Dell somewhere around the same time, and found out that Intel Graphics Command Center has been updated as well.  And later on I've learned that Saturation and Hue sliders completely mess the Intel UHD graphic card/driver  resulting turning off the screen.  

Only uninstalling the Intel card and reinstalling it back makes the laptop usable again....

No other drivers older, or newer, neither if downloaded from Dell, or Intel website fix the problem.

WORKAROUND:  If you're in a hurry try uninstalling the Intel Command Center, and install "Intel Graphics Control Panel" instead.  Its an older equivalent of Intel calibration software from the past few years, but its suitable for Intel UHD graphic cards, and does the job.    You'll be able to turn down that crazy saturation set by color blind hardware engineers from Dell.

And I'm joining you in waiting for an official Dell fix.  Don't want to rely on some old 2017 software to run my 2020 laptop.

Ok Jack.
Let's wait, surely the next updates of the Intel graphics panel will solve this problem.

I have the same problem with my XPS 9500.

Hi, 

I can't find the "Intel Graphic Control Panel". It doesn't exist in the microsoft store anymore and I can't find it anywhere on internet. 
I’m starting to get tired of having a 3k machine but totally unusable because of the inaccuracy of the colors. 
How did you achieved the IGCP installation ?

Thanks in advance

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

This computer was a massive mistake. Iv'e had display issues since day 1, sleep drain, unreliability, and even after a service to fix the color banding I still have the problem of shifting band in dark gradients. It's a joke man. Dell paid a lot of money to review sites to push this thing. I have this problem with the black screen now. Thank you for the posts to work around. It just happened for the second time. 

@Zzzzcccc The problem with color banding can be solved by uninstalling Dell premier color

I understand your frustration we have 25 of them...

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same problem.

But I have not been able to start in Safe Mode yet as F8 does not work for Windows10.

How did you manage to start in Safe Mode?

You have to hold the power button to power off the machine. turn it back on. when you see circle that windows is loading hold power button again. turn back on. you should see loading in recovery mode. if it's only the circle again, power off again until you see recovery mode. You'll need your bitlocker key to proceed. it will give you the link. input the key. the goal is to get to safe mode. when the recovery options load. you want to find advanced recovery options. and find the option for safe mode. after loading into safe mode you want to go into device manager, display adapters and right click to uninstall the intel driver.

I know this is a lot and a pain but that's what worked for me.

All of this because i'm trying to get accurate colors on this machine. and no banding. this has been a pain. I'm trying to remove all color software and use my own icc profiles.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The same issue on my brand new XPS 9700 (12/2020)

The only thing that brings the screen back is by connecting an external monitor, and if I have an external monitor connected I need to unplug it. By doing this the screen comes normal again. 

Tech support has not been able to identify the issues and the only recommendation they provided was to do a fresh window reinstall. This did not fix the issue.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions