Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2020 03:00

XPS 9570 black screen with Intel graphics panel color adjustment

Good morning
These days I have reconfigured my XPS 9570 from scratch.
I formatted and installed Windows 10 May 2020, and I manually updated some drivers via Support Assist (as I usually do), then I also updated Windows all, latest version of October (20H2).
Everything seemed to be working fine until I went through the Intel graphics panel to lower the saturation which in my 4K screen is a bit high. And well when I go to move the saturation slider the screen becomes completely black and remains so even when restarting the system not being able to see even the Windows login screen. The only solution is to start Windows in Safe Mode and uninstall the Intel video driver.
Analyzing the problem well I realized that in the Intel graphics panel the scale of the screen controls values ​​have changed, for example the saturation slider when positioned in the center had a value of "0" while now in the center it displays the value "50". Apart from that, the problem is that when I act on any color adjustment slider, the screen becomes hopelessly black.
I tried to replace the video driver with the latest one published on the Intel site, but the problem remains. Having the bios to version 1.17.1 I tried to go back to 1.16.2 but I haven't solved that either.

July 7th, 2021 10:00

Hello I found a solution
Today I installed an update for a graphics card from this site
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
And then I installed this app:  intel graphics command center from the store 

And problem solved now the colors of the screen can be adjusted

2 Posts

November 21st, 2020 13:00

Exactly the same issue here, but on XPS 9700  17.
I downloaded some updates from Dell somewhere around the same time, and found out that Intel Graphics Command Center has been updated as well.  And later on I've learned that Saturation and Hue sliders completely mess the Intel UHD graphic card/driver  resulting turning off the screen.  

Only uninstalling the Intel card and reinstalling it back makes the laptop usable again....

No other drivers older, or newer, neither if downloaded from Dell, or Intel website fix the problem.

WORKAROUND:  If you're in a hurry try uninstalling the Intel Command Center, and install "Intel Graphics Control Panel" instead.  Its an older equivalent of Intel calibration software from the past few years, but its suitable for Intel UHD graphic cards, and does the job.    You'll be able to turn down that crazy saturation set by color blind hardware engineers from Dell.

And I'm joining you in waiting for an official Dell fix.  Don't want to rely on some old 2017 software to run my 2020 laptop.

66 Posts

November 23rd, 2020 06:00

Ok Jack.
Let's wait, surely the next updates of the Intel graphics panel will solve this problem.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2020 15:00

I have the same problem with my XPS 9500.

1 Message

December 20th, 2020 09:00

This computer was a massive mistake. Iv'e had display issues since day 1, sleep drain, unreliability, and even after a service to fix the color banding I still have the problem of shifting band in dark gradients. It's a joke man. Dell paid a lot of money to review sites to push this thing. I have this problem with the black screen now. Thank you for the posts to work around. It just happened for the second time. 

1 Message

January 4th, 2021 13:00

I have the same problem.

But I have not been able to start in Safe Mode yet as F8 does not work for Windows10.

How did you manage to start in Safe Mode?

3 Posts

January 7th, 2021 12:00

The same issue on my brand new XPS 9700 (12/2020)

The only thing that brings the screen back is by connecting an external monitor, and if I have an external monitor connected I need to unplug it. By doing this the screen comes normal again. 

Tech support has not been able to identify the issues and the only recommendation they provided was to do a fresh window reinstall. This did not fix the issue.

January 19th, 2021 05:00

@Zzzzcccc The problem with color banding can be solved by uninstalling Dell premier color

I understand your frustration we have 25 of them...

2 Posts

January 24th, 2021 10:00

Hi, 

I can't find the "Intel Graphic Control Panel". It doesn't exist in the microsoft store anymore and I can't find it anywhere on internet. 
I’m starting to get tired of having a 3k machine but totally unusable because of the inaccuracy of the colors. 
How did you achieved the IGCP installation ?

Thanks in advance

February 5th, 2021 06:00

Exactly the same problem here on a Dell Precision 5540.

3 Posts

February 9th, 2021 02:00

You have to hold the power button to power off the machine. turn it back on. when you see circle that windows is loading hold power button again. turn back on. you should see loading in recovery mode. if it's only the circle again, power off again until you see recovery mode. You'll need your bitlocker key to proceed. it will give you the link. input the key. the goal is to get to safe mode. when the recovery options load. you want to find advanced recovery options. and find the option for safe mode. after loading into safe mode you want to go into device manager, display adapters and right click to uninstall the intel driver.

I know this is a lot and a pain but that's what worked for me.

All of this because i'm trying to get accurate colors on this machine. and no banding. this has been a pain. I'm trying to remove all color software and use my own icc profiles.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2021 10:00

Also having a very similar issue. I have an XPS 9570 as well and on the 31st of January, all my color adjustments I made in the Intel Graphics Command Center stopped working. The colors are basically back to default, which is waaayyy too vibrant, especially while working as an illustrator. Every time I try to go back into the IGCC and adjust the Hue and Saturation sliders my screen goes black. But it's an artificial black like my screen was sent to a second monitor.  I can get it back by refreshing my screen (windows+ctrl+B) but the color adjustments never seem to have any effect. I could have the hue and saturation down all the way and the colors would still be burning my retinas. 

Called Dell tech support twice, didn't fix anything. Replaced my motherboard, didn't fix anything. Currently still working with intel on the issue but they also haven't found a solution. 

3 Posts

February 9th, 2021 12:00

@FoxyJoy I gave up on working with Dell's tech support and ended up returning the unit. I did follow up intensively with Intel as well, but they said the issue was with Dell.

This is my last communication with intel: 'This is a follow-up in regards with the case number 04927684. As advised by our engineers, please continue to pursue this issue with Dell. Dell will approach Intel to work together in a fix that if released will be provided directly by Dell as this requires driver customization that is specific to each OEM.'  This was received back in 01/22/2021.

I did place another order for a new 9700 but this time I order the 4K HD+ screen, hoping the IGCC works better on this one.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2021 18:00

I'm holding on to a little bit of hope that the intel guy I'm in contact with can possibly fix this. I got my XPS 15 back in June of 2020. I have a super basic warranty so I don't think I'm able to return my laptop for a different one. Honestly missing my old Alienware that lasted 6 years with no problems till it kicked the bucket. I'll probably be researching laptops that don't use the IGCC app, I've seen too many issues with it on forums dating back a few years.

IF the intel guy manages to fix this I'll come back here and post the results. 

February 10th, 2021 07:00

My main issue was to fix the color saturation so if it's the case for you try these steps

After many trial and error, I've found a temporary workaround that is working with the legacy Intel graphics control panel which says need to be uninstalled but it can't be uninstalled that easily it will always stay(will try to get rid of it completely next to see if it change).

We have multiple 9570 laptop so I was able to reproduce it and some came up with different issue. 

1st case- Try to open the Intel Graphics settings with the right click on your desktop 

If it's not there go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\cui_comp.inf_amd64_f7412e3e3404de80 and open Gfxv4_0.exe from there

Then select Display, color settings and select build in display and adjust saturation to -19

2nd case -If you can the error message This display does not support color enhancement settings 

You'll need a second monitor to make it work or to do a small trick if you only use the laptop display

Open Device Manager, expand display adapter, right click in the intel UHD graphic driver and then click uninstall but just keep that windows open don't uninstall yet. (close most of the app if you don't have an external monitor because you're gonna use alt+tab and enter to get you screen back)

Go to the intel graphics command center, scroll down and agree, then the display icon or text, select the build-in display then color and(your screen gonna turn black after this step and you gonna have to press alt-tab and enter to uninstall the drive to recover your screen) then click the custom preset

Click on the loop scan for hardware change and the driver should be back open the Intel graphics control panel and check if the open to change saturation are available.

3rd case - Another computer still showed This display does not support color enhancement settings after this, I uninstalled Graphics control command center from add and remove and also in device manager into software component and check the delete driver and uninstall. 

Then reinstall Intel graphics command center from the Microsoft store and repeat the 2nd case

No Events found!