Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2020 06:00

XPS 9570 bootup on battery

So my laptop boots up perfectly when the ac adapter is plugged in. It identifies the battery as fully charged too. I ran the diagnostic tool and it passed every test (including the battery test). However the second I remove the ac adapter, the laptop shuts off. It won't boot up, and even the LED indicator lights won't light up. It's like the battery is dead but is still detected as fully charged and healthy with the ac adapter. I checked inside to see if the battery connection was weak or if any pins were broken or bent, but couldn't find any issue. What's the problem here? The Motherboard? The Battery? What could have caused this? Everything was perfect 2 days ago.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 24th, 2020 03:00

That means it's lost about 25% of its design capacity, but that's not enough for the battery to be the issue in powering up the system.

If you haven't tried it, unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery from the mainboard.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.

Then reconnect the battery, reinstall the base cover and see if the system will power up on battery. If it won't, I'd think you're facing a mainboard issue -- a battery at 75% of its design capacity has enough capacity to start up the system alone. 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 07:00

Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions | Dell US

Batteries do not last very long now since they were redesigned for lighter and thinner laptops. Batteries wear down after only 18 to 24 months. If yours is in that range you can ignore the battery meter when it is plugged into the adapter. If it goes off as soon as you unplug, your battery needs to be replaced. It must be a genuine Dell purchased from Dell or Dell Parts--not from online sellers. See the FAQ's above. 

December 23rd, 2020 17:00

The battery was working fine a day ago with at least over 5 hours of life. If it were a gradual decay I would have agreed. But given that it went from decent to dead so fast makes me skeptical of the diagnosis. Thanks for the tip though.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 18:00

What does the battery report show for the current capacity of the battery?

https://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/

December 23rd, 2020 23:00

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 71,592 mWh ----Copied Installed Batteries Section----- Installed batteries Information about each currently installed battery BATTERY 1 NAME DELL GPM0365 MANUFACTURER SMP SERIAL NUMBER 3759 CHEMISTRY LION DESIGN CAPACITY 97,003 mWh FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 71,592 mWh CYCLE COUNT

December 27th, 2020 16:00

Sorry for not responding for so many days. After doing the procedure of holding the power button with the power source and battery disconnected it is now working again perfectly. I think I got really lucky here,  as @ejn63  said this could have been a motherboard issue which would have been a pain get fixed (maybe not even possible). Thanks so much for your help and happy Holidays!! @ejn63 & @Mary G 

1 Message

October 9th, 2022 20:00

hello... I have this issue too.  I tried everything I've found, including the 30 second reset on the power button above.  I even replaced the battery as the old one was at less than 80%.  However, nothing seems to work for me.  When I tried the reset on the power button, it worked immediately after, but as soon as I closed the lid, it went dark and won't start unless I plug in the power cord.

2 Posts

January 31st, 2023 11:00

Hi Miguel. Did you solve it? I am in the same situation. Tried everything: disconnect everything, including cmos battery for some time (after that it won't recognize the boot sector, but easily solved), pressed power button with no battery, plug battery again. Nothing.
My old battery still works (but its health is very low), but the new and original one, not. As it would be dead, but the bios detects it, passed the test, says is charged at 49%... it is going to drive me crazy! help!

No Events found!