Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

27 Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

XPS 9570 is my last Dell

Every other laptop on the planet for the past 20 years: Close the lid, lap sleeps. Put in bag. Go on with life.

Dell XPS: Close the lid. Lap pretends to sleep. Put in bag. Laptop overheats.

Dell's response is here = FAQ Modern Standby

Other manufacturers fixed their bios, or reenabled S3 sleep. 

I work for a Dell partner, and get crazy discounts on Dell gear. This 9570 is the 8th Dell laptop I've had and the 2nd in a row with major issues. I love Dell servers, switches, and storage. But will never get another Dell laptop again. Dell's arrogant response to this issue is inexcusable.

Next laptop will be from a vendor that respects their customers.

489 Posts

April 14th, 2020 01:00

Problem is that the insomnia is caused by Microsoft, because they think that laptop sleep time is too value to them to let users decide how soundly they want their laptops to sleep. So I'm afraid grass may not be greener elsewhere. Dell don't want to keep supporting S3 because they have big issues fixing bugs for one sleep mode. S3 was "retired" after one bug was found, rather than getting it fixed. 

Despite the above and the fact that Dell say one must assume sleep isn't bag safe, I don't think this is typical. Firstly try turning off WiFi during sleep. You may try looking for the offender using SleepStudy. Also, there is supposedly a way to get the laptop hibernate automatically after x% of the battery has been devoured. Though personally I have bad experience with Hibernate After in S3 (9550), woke up running hot in bag instead of hibernating. You may try switching to the old S3 sleep via a registry hack, works for some.

27 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 11:00

My solution was even better.

I got a Lenovo Y740.  It fully supports S3 sleep.  It goes to sleep when I close the lid, and STAYS asleep till I open the lid.

Clearly, Microsoft is involved in the insomnia, but Dell shares the blame since they removed S3 support from the bios.  Lenovo did the same, BUT when their customers complained they added it back.

Vs Dell, who SAID they'd add it back but didn't and just released a new laptop instead.

So ya.  I gave Lenovo $3000 instead of Dell.  This whole insomnia issue made me, a loyal Dell customer for 12+ years, switch to Lenovo.

Fix your sleep, Dell!

5 Posts

June 4th, 2020 12:00

Fully agree!  There are just too much issues with so expensive a supposed-to-be high end laptop.  See the problem with my XPS 9570 I posted here.  And the strange thing is, most of the problems (like mine) happened right after the warranty expired.  If I couldn't find solutions here, I'll post the problem everywhere on the web and bash (with facts) the quality of Dell's laptops and services!

2 Posts

June 5th, 2020 01:00

Dear brothers-in-arms, I fully agree with you. This 9570 is my 7th laptop and by far the one I had most problems with.
S3 problems (never solved!!), Killer Wireless bad signal (never solved!!), fan noise when connected to TB 16 dock (never solved!!), yesterday my battery died 1 day after warranty ended!!

I hold a PhD in Engineering, tried all kind of stuff to convince myself that this is in fact good product. It simply isn't. I'm so sorry that I didn't buy Lenovo.

3 Posts

September 16th, 2020 21:00

I think most owners of the 9570 are nodding their heads in agreement..."ya, I've experienced that.". Not only do the Sleep Mode issues remain unresolved since this models release in 2018, but there are battery issues (short life), keyboard problems (missed keys), poor WiFi signal (fixed mine with an Intel 9260), and a muxless NVidia 1050 integration that rarely works for most of us. I would call this product a failure. If you're not convinced that Dell has grown more interested in profit than product quality, take off your rosy glasses. I read through these forums looking for answers all the time; a common theme has emerged, a general lack of empathy from Dell for the plight we customers bear. Dell laptops used to be great products and support was also stellar. What the heck happened? I'm giving Lenovo a try next; the X1 Extreme is looking very sweet.

12 Posts

August 22nd, 2022 22:00

All the computers I have owned in the last 35 years this xps 9570 is the biggest disappointment! In 2  1/2 years 3 batteries, 2nd motherboard.. needs a 3rd one same problem with all of them the tb16 dock usb C charging quit. (USB C charge controller on the motherboard failed again)

Worst laptop ever!

August 24th, 2022 08:00

I have been a longtime Dell fan. Now the fan on my XPS is scaring clients away who can't hear my calls on Zoom, sounds like a train going by.

No Events found!