Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2018 14:00

XPS 15 9575, modern standby, backpack, fans

I have a brand new XPS 9575, and I've set it to go to sleep when I shut the lid. Often though, I'll shut the lid and stick it in my backpack, then take it out a while later only for it to be really really hot with the fans running full speed. I think it's too stupid to realize that the fans aren't helping, so it just keeps turning them up, only exacerbating the problem. Is there any way I can configure it to absolutely never run the fans when it's in sleep mode?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 14th, 2018 15:00

Personally when I put my laptop in the backpack, I always shut it off. The boot time is slightly longer and turning off the fan may not be a good idea. If the CPU is still active and the fans are set to stay off, it might end with some less than desirable results. As far as turning fans off though, nothing in the BIOS can be changed to turn off fans. They are thermally activated as you could guess.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 20th, 2018 12:00

With regards to transporting your laptop, safety should be your primary concern. You should always turn the laptop OFF =
* Select the Start button
* Click Power
* Click Shut down

In all extended travel and especially airplane travel, safety should be your primary concern. Under no circumstances should you leave a laptop powered on and in any sleep/hibernate/standby mode when placed in a bag, backpack, or in an overhead bin.
 The laptop will overheat as a result of that action.

Modern Standby behavior

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 17th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your message. Does the battery drain too fast when you put the system to sleep mode or while in the backpack?

What is the BIOS version installed?

The system may be on a modern standby & if there is any process running in the background it could be using the CPU & draining the battery as well.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

14 Posts

December 19th, 2018 12:00

@JOceanUnfortunately, the problem comes when the laptop is in a closed environment. The computer *should* be smart enough to realize that the fans are having the opposite effect of what they're intended to do. The fans are there to protect the PC, but in this case, they are actively destroying it.

I hate to admit it, but I've been using a MacBook for years. Every time I shut its lid, the fans immediately stop, no matter how hot the laptop is. This is good design, because if I'm closing the lid, there is a ~90% chance that within one minute, the laptop will be zipped up in a bag.

14 Posts

December 19th, 2018 12:00

Hi Sreejith,

Thanks for the reply. It only happens sometimes, and when it does, yes, the battery drains while it's in the backpack. Sometimes it successfully goes to sleep, and the battery doesn't drain. I've had it in the backpack for over a day before with no problem, and other times in just a few hours the laptop is scorching hot, fans whirring at full speed, with over 50% drained battery.

I just updated the BIOS right after I got it (about a week ago) with the latest one listed on the Dell support site.

I've set systemd to not allow interrupts to stop the sleep mode when the lid is closed, so I don't think anything could be stopping it from trying to sleep.

14 Posts

December 20th, 2018 11:00

@SreejithRPer your private message, which I've copied below:

Thank you for the tag details. Technically, there is no option to turn off the fan or change the RPM in any of the modes.

As mentioned earlier this system uses a connected standby (modern standby), where the system is not entering an S3 state & there is no option to change this & this is by design on the operating system.

We never recommend putting the system in a backpack for a longer duration with the system in sleep mode.

You can disable all startup items & check if the system wakes up from sleep.

Please update the following drivers in the same sequence.

Intel Chipset Device software driver

Intel Dynamic platform & thermal framework

BIOS (update this even if you have the latest version)

Thanks, 

Sreejith

I just want to verify, on a public forum, that it is Dell's official stance that their laptops are not intended to be put in a bag while in sleep mode. Can you verify that here, publicly?

489 Posts

December 21st, 2018 01:00

Firstly check which sleep, S3 or Modern Sleep (connected standby). May depend on the BIOS version - in 9570 Dell killed S3 with a certain irreversible BIOS update. 

Unfortunately, XPS are known to sometimes wake in sleep running hot in backpacks both in S3 and MS. 

Wake from S3 sleep may be due to system configuration, due to a wake-armed device or a wake-timer, for instance for windows update. Check the powercfg command in the admin cmd window. Waking is with XPS also known to occur due to a faulty automatic transition from sleep to hibernate after a pre-set time like 2h, which may be disabled. 

Modern Sleep is recently pushed by Microsoft, and Dell don't seem like supporting two forms of sleep while not really being able to debug any. The "advantage" of MS/CS is that the laptop doesn't really sleep, checks for email/messages all the time. So it also wakes up faster. The problem is the same, that it doesn't really sleep... Tends not even to go to sleep if working on something while being sent to sleep, tends to drain the battery twice as fast as S3 etc. One relies a lot on the nonexistent responsibility of software developers to properly adhere to guidelines (which they have probably never heard of). You may try entering Airplane mode before Sleep, but I hear some programs get really mad if you want to deprive them of internet and keep polling, draining the battery even faster. For many, such sleep is of no use, it isn't fun when useful features are getting replaced by inferior ones in supposedly classy laptops. 

You can try using Hibernate instead (for me, hibernate is less reliable unfortunately, often cold boot instead of waking up). 

14 Posts

December 21st, 2018 11:00

I just tried it again, and it seems like it will prevent sleep mode if I pick it up right after closing the lid, but *only* if the fans are running/the OS is pretty busy. If it's sitting there doing nothing, fans silent, I can shut the lid and shake it around, and it will still sleep. (And very quickly, too. Basically as soon as I shut the lid, the audio stops.) If the fans are going though, picking it up/jostling it right after closing the lid will consistently prevent it from sleeping (audio keeps playing, fans keep running).

14 Posts

December 21st, 2018 11:00

@SreejithR  I've found that if I close the lid and leave the Dell sitting in place for about a minute before picking it up, it will go to sleep and I can put it in the backpack. If I pick it up directly after closing the lid though, it will not go to sleep and start the fans, and I have to open it up and close it again for it to go to sleep. Does this laptop have a gyro? If so, maybe that is sending an interrupt to the CPU and keeping it from sleeping.

@samos1111  I've looked through all the BIOS settings and tried flipping a lot of them, to no avail. There's no setting for what kind of sleep mode to use. But, sometimes it goes to sleep correctly, and hardly drains the battery at all over many hours, so I think it really is going into proper sleep mode. My Surface Book will *always* drain the battery by about 30-50% per day while in sleep mode, so it is definitely using the new and improved, super awesome, battery killing, connected standby instead of just going to sleep. Yay, Microsoft.

On the Dell, I don't use Windows. I use Manjaro Linux, with systemd, so it doesn't even support "Modern Sleep" anyway. It does have a "hybrid sleep" option, which copies all the RAM to disk, and puts the computer to sleep. Basically a hibernate+sleep. But losing what's in RAM isn't my concern. My concern is that the firmware, while trying to protect the PC, is inadvertently damaging it by running the fans full blast in a backpack.

489 Posts

December 21st, 2018 14:00

If using Linux better look for support in the Linux community and perhaps at Dell reddit. 

So this must be S3 sleep and its issues... 

I'm not familiar with Linux... In Windows (9550) I set "lid close" to "no action" and I always put it to sleep via the Start/Power menu, so that I can see if it has actually gone to sleep. I guess you can do this too? Yes less convenient but I've had this bug where the laptop was waking up by itself a couple of seconds after going to sleep. It is reliable now but I'm still paranoid. The bug was initially triggered by the malfunctioning "Hibernate After" feature - the laptop woke up after a preset time of sleep to switchover to hibernate, but the switchover failed and instead the laptop woke to an abnormal state in which it was mostly functional but some things like sleep didn't work anymore.  

14 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 21:00

@samos1111  Why go to the Linux community? This is a Dell hardware problem, and Dell even officially supports Linux.

14 Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

@SreejithR  Would you be able to file a bug report for this? It's pretty annoying to have to wait before picking up my laptop when I'm in a hurry.

1 Message

September 12th, 2019 07:00

Hi buddy,

I have exactly the same problem, any chance you found a solution?

14 Posts

October 12th, 2019 14:00

Not really. Just hold it up to your ear after you close it to see if it stays on. Dell doesn't seem interested in supporting their hardware.

1 Message

January 29th, 2020 22:00

After many years (20+) of being a Dell customer, and recently buying many new XPS's for my company, I have finally had enough. The whole point of sleep is that I can treat my laptop as if it is temporarily turned off. I can safely put it into my bag and take it home. To open my bag an hour later with fans on full blast, battery at 50%, and CPU throttled down into safe mode (which requires a disassembly and CPU re-paste to disconnect the button battery and reset the BIOS), is absolutely unacceptable for a $3000 machine.

I'm done. Goodbye.

No Events found!