Wintersong
1 Nickel

XPS 9575 static in headphones when waking from sleep

I use headphones in the headphone jack a lot.  I have found that if the Dell 9575 is started from shutdown the sound is fine.  However, if the laptop is awoken from sleep mode, when I play music/video there is static in the headphones.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: XPS 9575 static in headphones when waking from sleep

Wintersong,

Try the steps below to see if they will resolve this issue.

Right-click the speaker icon in the system try and select ‘Playback devices’ from the context menu.
This will open the Sounds window with the Playback devices tab selected. You might see one or multiple devices listed in the Playback devices tab.
For an immediate fix, double-click the active/default playback device. This will open the device’s properties in a new window.
On the device properties screen, select the ‘Advanced’ tab. In the ‘Exclusive Mode’ section of the Advanced tab, disable the ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’. Click Apply
If you use other audio devices with your Windows 10 system, repeat the above for all of them.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I might think static during a power transition would be expected.  Were you playing music while the desktop was dark and if so, which utility.

I will your assume your system goes into a low power mode or modern standby, which behaves differently from a system that actually sleeps.  If it does not, please advise so I can update my understanding. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Wintersong
1 Nickel

My power settings are set to sleep after 20 min (when plugged in) and hibernate after 31 min (when plugged in).  The situation is when I close the lid of the computer and walk away.  And come back later to start using it again.  Like right now.  This time, I cannot get any sound to work after waking from sleep/hibernate.

I have tried turning off "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" but that in this instance has not brought the sound back on.  When I click on test in the advanced tab is says "The device is being used by another application.  Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again."

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

It is important for all of us to know if the system is Modern Standby capable.  There is no way for me to check the specifications and find out.

If it is capable of using the low power mode, if you check the Settings-System-Power & Sleep, about half way down the page is a setting for "Network Connection".  The option will show Never, Always or Let Windows handle.

If it is Modern Standby, the power settings which are important are the Turn off Display and Hibernation.

If it is in low power mode, the screen will pop back up when the system is opened or by hitting the space bar.  If it is in hibernation, you will get the spinning dots. The operation is different in a 2-in-1 configuration.

There have been some changes lately but on my system, the music may pause when the screen goes dark, but not with all utilities.  If the screen pops up, any playback would have been paused until the screen comes back.

If it shows another application has control, try opening the Task Manager and check if something is running and you just need to hit the play button. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Wintersong
1 Nickel

Here is a comment from someone on Reddit:  "

So my 9575 had ongoing issues with the microphone not being recognized by Chrome, tried reinstalling the device, updating drivers, nothing worked, support had no clue. I reset my Windows (not a clean install) and it seems to have fixed it.

Now I have an issue where sometimes when the device is powered on or wakes from sleep the speaker drivers don't load, basically the device is there, I can select it, but no sound will come out and any app that tries to output sound goes bonkers (YouTube errors out, Spotify skips tracks endlessly, Hangouts says there is something wrong with my speakers, etc.). If I restart the computer, it fixes is. But then I close the lid, go to a meeting and it might not work again. Very frustrating in a business environment with lots of calls.

So I contacted Dell support about it. After a bit of back and forth, they said they'll come and replace the motherboard and the speakers. What the **bleep** are they thinking?

Anyone else faced this issue before? Or any suggestions in dealing with Dell support? It is just infuriating."

This is very similar to what I am dealing with. That is, coming out of sleep, the audio not working, having to restart.

0 Kudos
Xtrnisse
1 Copper

I just wanted to say that i have the exact same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

0 Kudos
Wintersong
1 Nickel

0 Kudos