Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2022 07:00

XPS 9710 Crashes when lid closed while on battery

I have an XPS 9710, running Windows 11.  From day one, if the laptop is on battery power and I close the lid, the system crashes and reboots.  I have tried all kinds of things, fresh install of Windows 11, driver updates, bios updates, etc.  Nothing worked! 

The only thing that seems to be a temporary fix is that I: 1) uninstalled the Intel UHD graphics and the nVidia Gforce GTX 3060 drivers (actually, I uninstalled every nVidia app / driver I could find on my system), 2) removed both display devices in device driver (including removing the existing drivers) and rebooted, 3) installed the Intel UHD driver (30.0.101.1340), and left the nVidia Gforce GTX 3060 to use the "Microsoft Basic Display" driver (10.0.22000.1).  Now, I can close the laptop lid while on battery power and open the lid and everything remains as I left it - no crashing! 

Of course, the downside is that the system is probably not using / leveraging the nVidia card as it was designed (I think).

I'm beginning to believe there is an inherent flaw in the XPS 9710 units that have the nvidia Gforce GTX 3060 card installed along with the Intel UHD graphics.  I have tried every Gforce 3060 driver I could find., nothing makes a difference.  

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a solution??  My guess is that Dell is well aware that there is a fundamental design problem here that might not be app / driver-fixable.  I spent hours with Dell on the phone and it was never resolved.  I hope I am wrong because this was a pricey laptop, so no one should have these sorts of problems with a supposedly top-of-the-line computer.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 27th, 2022 09:00

Update = After verifying ownership and completing troubleshooting, a DELL agent setup service which resolved the issue.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 22nd, 2022 10:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

July 30th, 2022 11:00

The community website is not working correctly, and I cannot reply to emails sent to me by the Dell team. Please help.

July 30th, 2022 11:00

What is wrong with the community website.  It no longer renders correctly and I cannot get to my email exchanges with Dell.  Help please!

No Events found!