Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

7 Posts

February 10th, 2022 10:00

XPS 9710 and Turning Bitlocker Off: Information Only

I just received my new computer on 2/7/2022 and have been setting it up since. Using a Partition program I found that the drive was encrypted and I was not aware of this being the case. My wife only uses the computer at home so I did not need it encrypted. I then did a Chat session with Dell Support to see if turning Bitlocker off would change my warranty. I was told that turning Bitlocker off would not do anything to the warranty. 

Then I went to Search; bitlocker; Device encryption settings. In here it shows that Device Encryption is turned ON or OFF. Mine was ON so I just turned it OFF. It then came up with a progress bar and when done the window just disappeared. I went back into Device encryption settings and saw that it was now OFF. Just to prove this I also went to Command Administration and performed the following command "manage-bde - status". It now showed that it was fully decrypted.

In the Device encryption settings window if you have Bitlocker turned on you can print your Recovery Key for the drive if you do not already have it. It is a 48 digits long key. There are no letters in this Recovery key. 

At this time I have found no problems with any programs I have tried running. I am going to keep testing before doing a full clone to an external USB drive. 

No Responses!
No Events found!