Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

December 5th, 2022 15:00

XPS 9710, heatsink, vapor chamber failures, how common?

XPS 17 9710

XPS 17 9710

My XPS 9710 is suffering from excessive CPU & GPU temps when the system is nearly idle. In an air conditioned room with proper ventilation around the laptop CPU core temps sitting around 70 deg C with CPU utilization of 3% or less. That's as good as it gets. With almost any load core temps spike to 100 C. Seems like this problem surfaced in the last week or so. The other day I noticed the fans running at high speed when the system was idle. There's another thread on the Dell forums here where a guy had the same problem and Dell replaced the heatsink / vapor chamber and that fixed it. Sounds like that's what I need but Dell says the part is out of stock and can't tell me when it will be back in stock. I purchased this machine in August of 2021 and yes the warranty expired in August of this year. Seems premature for a failure of this nature. So that begs the question, how common is it for the vapor chamber / heatsink to fail?  Who else has experienced this? It's also disturbing replacement parts aren't readily available on a machine that just came out last year.

BradleyInKona_1-1670283909103.png

1 Message

September 22nd, 2023 14:39

I'm having the same issue. Terrible CPU temps. I tried doing a repaste but I'm not getting any improvements whatsoever. Fans are always blowing at max, but they just blow cold air.

September 22nd, 2023 14:47

I'm facing EXACTLY the same problem. I already tried to repaste and did more aggressively... I used liquid metal.. the same result... still burning the CPU while fans still blow cool air... No idea what to do... ALso not sure if is possible to replace this vapor chamber

September 25th, 2023 01:20

Did u solve it @BradleyInKona ? Bought new vapor? If yes, could you share the model name ou link to buy it? thanks in advance

45 Posts

October 25th, 2023 12:17

I have the same problem with 9720. The idle temperatures are very high (~70°C). Air temperature coming from the center part of the grill is hot, but the air coming from the sides through heatsink fins is cold.

No Events found!