Highlighted
CarlwithaK
1 Copper

XPS Motherboard/Power On Issues

I purchased a Dell XPS9360-3591SLV 13.3" Laptop (7th Generation Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Silver) in February 2017. Late October 2018, the laptop decided not to turn on one day. The power button would light up for a few seconds after being pushed and then would just turn off - this was with the laptop plugged in. After speaking with Dell Support they diagnosed my laptop as in need of a new motherboard. At this point the laptop was still under warranty so the gentleman came out and replaced the motherboard and the laptop worked again just as it once did but with a few issues - it would boot up but sometimes took a few presses of the button. 

After a few more months of normal use, the laptop decided to not turn on again yesterday even after being used earlier in the day. It is now experiencing similar symptoms as before... Plugged in, press the power button, lights for a few seconds, and then turns off. Laptop doesn't turn on. I believe that it is the motherboard again since that seemed to have been the issue before. Unfortunately this time the laptop is out of warranty since the replacement motherboard is only under warranty for 90 days after it's replacement date (even though that would still be within the first year). A company who only provides a warranty on a motherboard for 3 months very clearly doesn't even believe in their own products.

After speaking with Dell Support this time, they tell me it will cost >$250 for the parts and replacement. The laptop was over $1000 and barely over a year old. If this is the same issue as I suspect it is, I'm not sure how this isn't constituting a manufacturer's defect in the motherboard. Two motherboards in 8 months in a laptop that is 1 year and 4 months old doesn't make sense.

I can't recommend anyone purchase a Dell XPS series laptop as they most certainly are offering products with serious defects. 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos