Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

1 Message

May 10th, 2022 14:00

XPS leaking sticky fluid.

XPS seem to have a well documented issue of leaking a sticky viscous fluid.   Dell support is completely unhelpful mainly due to the fact it is completely designed to facilitate warranty repairs.   

Everyone seems to have the same question. Is this toxic? Well, Dell is never going to tell us that. If it is toxic, they aren't going to publicly admit that; bad publicity.  .  They aren't going to say its 'non-toxic' because that is just a loaded term.  If they say that and some one eats it or something then they have to defend themselves , etc etc.  See no way they can confirm or deny this.  

So lets do our own research.   Most people jump to the 'liquid' connection with an LCD (liquid crystalline display).  That too is a very viscous fluid. that must be the culprit!   Well, if you've seen a leaky xps you would soon realize there is no way the LCD liquid is that voluminous.  LCDs are technically liquid and can leak, but there doesn't seem to be very much of that stuff actually in an LCD screen.  And most of the time the screens still work and there are no cracks so what gives?  Has to be something else. 

Ok, this is where my research has taken me.   The substance leaking from the xps that looks like glue is ....probably glue.  Its the only thing on the screen that is abundant enough to show up in those quantities and its not critical to the screen working.   The substance I think we are seeing is usually called Optic Bonding Compound and is used to hold the touch part of the screen to the actual LCD.   It is the adhesive that keep the two together and give the screen that tactile response.  

So the question becomes is that stuff toxic? Well i have no idea. I don't know what dell screens use, so i can't even research it further.  Its a glue; and the most modern kinds of these materials are silicon based. Both of those things seem reassuring.  Unless Dell will chime in with the MDS for the bonding compound used in their laptops we will never know for sure. 

In the future, I would use gloves if i have to clean this mess up again. (Didn't think about it until mid way through the cleaning) , clean surfaces with alcohol based pads , and discontinue use immediately.   Obviously don't eat it, touch your face , etc.   Wish i could be more helpful.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in. 

• 

25.1K Posts

May 11th, 2022 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We will look into this case on priority. We don't want out customers to go through something like this.

Kindly private message your system service tag or the express service code for us to get more details and assist you further. 

13 Posts

May 15th, 2022 09:00

I have the same problem on my XPS 27 AIO 7760. On attached pic a distinctive outline on top and both sides of the screen can be seen. On the bottom of PC screen very sticky liquid is coming out. this is an expensive PC and is only 4-yearsold. Over the years I only had purchased Dell systems, but with this experience, if there is no solution, I will be looking elsewhere. XPS27 screen.jpg

13 Posts

May 16th, 2022 09:00

To add to my yesterday’s post. I bought this best available and most expansive ($2.5K) All-In-One system in Nov. 2017 thinking it would last long time. The warranty and extended warranty I paid for, until it was no longer available, expired in Oct. 2021. In December I noticed a line in the top corner of the screen and at first thought it was a crack. But when the line started moving, I thought it was moisture penetration. I blamed my wife for using a wet tissue. Over the period of almost six months this moisture line expended to the other corner and down on both sides of the screen. I searched online and found that this moisture may go away from the heat of the screen. I turned PC upside down trying to drain it. It didn’t help. Thinking that it was our fault I did not contact Dell.
Yesterday, I accidently touched the bottom of PC and found sticky substance that I couldn’t get off my hand. Searched online and found this and other threads. Others reported similar problem with Dell LCD’s. I know now that the problem was in design and manufacturing. Very expansive lesson. Hope my experience will help others in making purchasing decisions.

13 Posts

May 17th, 2022 09:00

I’d like to add more history on this PC. When it first arrived in Nov. 2017, right out of the box, I noticed a short line in the top corner of the screen that looked like a crack. I assumed that PC was damaged during shipment. Contacted Dell and they replaced the system. Now putting two and two together, I am convinced that it was the leak problem: just started to develop. In 2019 I had to ship this PC to Dell for service for different issue. This XPS system obviously was all lemon and eventually Dell discontinued selling it.

As far as toxicity – any bonding compound, even water based, you buy in the store comes with extensive hazard warning. Short of proper disposal and considering the screen size, families with or without children are set for a long exposure time.

If it was an automobile, a recall would’ve been issued long ago.

DELL-Cares comment?

13 Posts

May 18th, 2022 09:00

Opened my own thread, but posted in the wrong section - Laptops XPS, instead of Desktops XPS. Don't know how to move it.

1 Message

February 16th, 2023 18:00

There appears to be no affordable solution to this problem. It was a bad design and we all got short changed on this short lived piece of . TOS76>

1 Message

February 9th, 2024 21:47

I've got the same problem with Dell XPS!  I was happy with my xps laptop until I started having issues with my screen - looked like there was a bubble inside, and then two bubbles, and then they expanded and combined.  I asked my brother (he knows computers and technology well) and he thought it looked like a water/moisture bubble and blamed me for spilling something on it.  The screen was not cracked or damaged, was working fine, and I never had any water or drink next to it and definitely did not spill anything on it.  Recently I picked up the laptop from the desk, and saw that this sticky glue like substance seeped through one of the corners of the screen.  I tried to gently remove the glue, but it's not coming off.  Can't use laptop anymore.  And completely ruined the desk too!  And of course it is over a year old and beyond warranty.  So disappointed with this Dell product.

No Events found!