Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

AB

10 Posts

August 13th, 2022 00:00

XPS rubber coating sticky

Hello there, after a few years, the rubber coating of my XPS-13 degraded badly. Now it's all sticky and disgusting. I live in south-east Asia, where the weather is hot and warm all year long. It seems that the rubber coating is not meant to survive this weather. Photo below:

DSC_0609.JPG

The laptop is now unusable, it's so gooey that nobody in their right mind would put their hand on that stuff.

I'm trying to find a solution though. But warranty expired, and there is zero support on Dell website. I went to the "Contact Technical Support" page and tried everything:

• Dell-Certified Repair Solutions? Sends me back to a page without an solution.
  • WhatsApp Chat? Sends me back to website.
  • Carry-in Service Locator? Zero result in my location.
  • Chat or email? "Not available for this product".

So I'm turning to this forum to see if others had this issue, and what solution did they find. With little hope.

Very disappointing for what was supposed to be a premium laptop.

10 Posts

August 13th, 2022 00:00

One more photo. I had to leave my laptop for 6 months while I was away. As I said, the rubber coating is all sticky, it's impossible to clean it. So the sweat of the hands stay there.

Guess what happens if you leave that for 6 months in tropical weather?

20211029-093303.jpg

That's right, covered with mold. A disaster. This rubber coating was the worst idea ever... If you live in a hot country, stay away from this kind of material.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 13th, 2022 03:00

Any local computer shop can replace the palmrest.

Part references here:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=927&refine=palmrest

10 Posts

August 13th, 2022 23:00

Thanks, I didn't know this site. Unfortunately, the only palmrest for the Dell XPS 9360 is... out of stock. Actually all of the palmrests listed on the page you mentioned are out of stock.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 14th, 2022 03:00

Use the part numbers to search elsewhere.

10 Posts

August 15th, 2022 00:00

I managed to find the part and I will change it myself, I suppose. Knowing the keyword "palmrest" was indeed the key for this issue. Thanks @ejn63 !

55 Posts

August 15th, 2022 06:00

2208B730-C9FF-4C83-B56F-B3EABCDDCC3A.jpeg

55 Posts

August 15th, 2022 06:00

Comical! Regardless of time, it is not warrantable, it is product abuse, neglect at best. Appears to be a communal gaming device and thus, the ruined A and S keys are telling. This has nothing to do with climate as the amount of soil and grime is indicative of a lack of proper care and maintenance. Regardless, of any chemicals on the hands, i.e., moisturizer, etc., the ruined keys, and extreme wear and tear on the device is indicative of neglect.  Whomever is going to foot the expense of repairing the damage, consider a skin. This will mitigate further damage from communal neglect.

68 Posts

August 15th, 2022 07:00

When I lived in Hawaii and had no A/C, I had the same problem on a large scale with rubber-coated surfaces. The plastic on dead blow hammers would totally disintegrate after 10+ years in storage.

I had a brand-new, vintage Toshiba RD-XS54 made in 2006, still in the box, which I could have sold for $400-1000+ on Ebay if it wasn't for the rubber coated surfaces that turned tacky. I ended up tossing the machine out.

I found that if I used 70-100% alcohol solution you could rub out the tackiness with coarse cloth but it required a lot of elbow grease, and you had to go over the surfaces several times.But you can't get into the cracks and crevices and corners.

Manufacturers need to use a type of rubber material that is not subject to UV and age degradation in a humid environment.

10 Posts

August 15th, 2022 22:00

@Clevor wrote:

When I lived in Hawaii and had no A/C, I had the same problem on a large scale with rubber-coated surfaces. The plastic on dead blow hammers would totally disintegrate after 10+ years in storage.

[...]

Manufacturers need to use a type of rubber material that is not subject to UV and age degradation in a humid environment.

Completely agree on that. Especially for a high-end device. I had this issue with an old Nokia mobile phone as well. I'm 100% sure that engineers who work with these materials are aware of the problem. So why does Dell sell a high-end laptop with this rubbery material, in a tropical country like Singapore? Either they don't care, or they don't even know about the problem. In both case, it tells me the same thing: avoid Dell products in the future.

It's also telling that everywhere I've been looking for spare parts, the palmrest was out of stock for this model, while other parts of the chassis were still available. I'm not the only person who had to replace it.

10 Posts

August 15th, 2022 22:00

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Comical indeed.

August 21st, 2022 02:00

You have no idea. We all have the same problem with the expensive xps we purchase,  just a few years with careful use and maintenance ourself without support. Looks like good tactic to get customers upgrade every few years for one of the most expensive and popular laptop you can buy...

I just cut the sticker cover last night to take care of the stickiness , but can't for the sides and edges...

Screenshot_20220821_175353.jpg

August 21st, 2022 03:00

Dell must know about it, XPS is so popular and has been there for many years and renewed models every year with this problematic surface coating material. DELL SIMPLY DONT CARE! NOW GO BUY ANOTHER MOST EXPENSIVE LAPTOP EVERY FEW YEARS LIKE YOU UOGRADE YOUR IPHONES. GOOD BUSSINESS DELL.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 21st, 2022 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @skylerenola 

Did you purchase from LidStyles???

https://www.lidstyles.com/shop-by-device/laptops/dell.html

Best regards,

U2

August 21st, 2022 04:00

I cut my own carbon fibre pattern cover sticker sheet for the palmrest. these 3rd party skins are all good and nice, but the expensive machine i purchase should not use a material that will degrade/oxydize naturally and look and feel like trash just a few years even with care and light use. I like to keep all my things nice and clean as new even years after heavy use, especially for the expensive ones. and i like the pure XPS. just don't use any more vulcanized rubber coating for products. the earth will thank you.

8 Posts

August 21st, 2022 05:00

Thanks Kelly driss. Kindly share solution as soon as possible.

No Events found!