Start a Conversation

Unsolved

KS

46 Posts

May 7th, 2020 16:00

XPS13 9300 (2020 version) webcam very poor quality

I'm assuming the webcam is just very cheap and low quality, as my picture is absolutely horrible. On zoom conferences, my picture is by far the worse regardless of lighting, location, etc. - however, I wanted to ask others if they have the same experience? Perhaps I have a defective camera for some reason.

It's extremely noisy and fuzzy. Do others with the new XPS13 have similar complaints?

46 Posts

May 7th, 2020 20:00

Thank you... Let me know what happens. It's also frustrating that there aren't really any ways to adjust the camera other than downloading Skype...

1 Message

May 7th, 2020 20:00

I am having the exact same issues. I am in the queue to speak with a technical support person from Dell to understand if there is anything wrong (software/hardware) or it's just a camera

1 Message

May 7th, 2020 23:00

have same camera blurry issue with xps 13 7390

tried most website suggested options, but does not work

is this HW related issue?

May 11th, 2020 07:00

Same here! I always get the poorest quality compared to others on zoom meetings. I came to same conclusion: Dell have installed a bad quality camera ;-((

May 11th, 2020 07:00

any success to reach Dell and find solutions?

46 Posts

May 11th, 2020 10:00

Hi everyone,

After starting this thread, Dell reached out to me in a private message and asked for a video to show the problem. The response was:

Thank you so much for the video provided. As far as the quality of the image, the webcam that came with your unit has 0.92 megapixel, so pretty much what we can see is the right resolution for the camera, another thing that might influence is the internet speed you're running and the streaming services bandwidth you might be using. I t will depend also on how saturate they have those servers. At this time we couldn't find anything wrong with the unit, furthermore, it is working as per design. 

Just FYI to everyone...

3 Posts

June 18th, 2020 16:00

Same here.  It's horrible.  I have by far the worst video of anyone on the zoom calls.  

52 Posts

June 19th, 2020 13:00

Yup, quite embarrassing to say the least - you get a shiny flagship model with a camera from the first every camera phone 

1 Message

June 27th, 2020 10:00

That camera is really embarrassing given the price tag. We got one for our CEO as a replacement.... everything was working well until he had a video meeting.... so embarrassing

1 Message

July 7th, 2020 08:00

same problem here. I have another xps 13 9380 (approx 1.5 years old) which has a much better cam quality. this is unbearable in times where everyone uses online meetings.

1 Message

August 27th, 2020 16:00

I have an XPS 15 I use for my business and I'm experiencing the same issues. I conduct many online meetings across different countries. I am very surprised at how poor the camera is for a premium laptop. The camera is useless and reflects poorly on me when I'm trying to conduct business. I have to use a secondary camera. 

46 Posts

August 27th, 2020 17:00

I purchased a logitech c930e 1080p webcam and it's an astonishing difference. I don't mind that the built-in one is 720p, but the quality itself... the noise and graininess... yikes.

46 Posts

August 27th, 2020 18:00

Yes, it isn't really a clip but just a piece of rubber that gently keeps it in place. I'm glad it's nothing with too much pressure, as I don't want it to wear anything down. It's study enough to sit there, though it's probably not that secure...

9 Posts

August 27th, 2020 18:00

So does the Logitech webcam safely clip onto the narrow bezels of the XPS laptops?

3 Posts

September 1st, 2020 00:00

I just received a dell outlet model (xps 13, 2020 version) after frying my original unit (xps 13, 2018 unit). The quality of the integrated webcam is far inferior to the 2018 version. Looks like Dell fixed the placement moving it to the top of the screen which is great, but in doing so also used a cheaper or lower quality webcam. I am on zoom almost all day every day for work. The audio is very low on zoom, almost inaudible (covered in other threads and specific to zoom for some reason), and the webcam is of very low quality so it's not a great experience, especially for a premium laptop at this price tag. Love the look and feel of the XPS 13 but just odd that it seems they cut corners in certain respects when at this price point, consumers are willing to pay for the best.

No Events found!