Highlighted
CD21
1 Nickel

XPS13 9350 and Windows 1803

Hey guys,

Ever since I did a clean install of 1803 my boot time is almost 4 minutes. Prior to installing 1803, my boot time was 15 seconds at most. I have a Toshiba SSD (THNSN5256GPU7) and have installed all the latest patches as suggested, but I'm guessing there's still an incompatibility here that hasn't been addressed.. I'm not sure what else to try, but to revert back to 1709.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS13 9350 and Windows 1803

Not sure what to suggest, but I can say that I personally have an XPS 13 9350 with a Samsung NVMe SSD, and its behavior did not change after I upgraded to Win10 1803.  Depending on your technical expertise and willingness to take the time, you could try a clean install of 1803 to see if that changes anything.  You could also capture an image of your disk beforehand so that if the clean install doesn't fix anything, you can at least quickly restore back to what you had rather than go through a clean install for nothing.

0 Kudos
CD21
1 Nickel

Hi jphughan,

I tried a clean install, and I'm still seeing the same thing. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just purchase another drive (like a Samsung) and install there and see what happens.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

The Toshiba SSD has a reputation here for very slow write speeds (worse than SATA in some cases), but I haven't seen reports of poor read speeds, which is what would be happening during boot -- and if this is exactly correlated with the upgrade to Win10 1803, that makes a hardware issue even more unlikely.  If you haven't already though, you may as well check for firmware updates to the SSD and system itself, and then driver updates for things like the various Intel components like the chipset, Management Engine, etc.  A Windows upgrade can mess those up sometimes and cause stalled boot processes and/or generally poor SSD performance, but if you've already done a clean install and made sure all of those required drivers are installed (you did make sure you installed everything, right?), then that wouldn't be it.  And is this happening on a clean install right after installing drivers but BEFORE installing ANY other applications?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm also wondering if you might have some application that loads during boot that might not be totally compatible with Win10 1803, perhaps some third-party anti-virus solution or something?

If none of the above helps and purchasing something like a Samsung 970 Evo as a test would be an option, that's certainly worth trying, and you'll likely enjoy a performance upgrade (potentially a significant one on write speed), but that's obviously not an option most people are willing to contemplate here, and again it's really strange that this is happening just with Win10 1803....  Before you go down that route, it would be interesting to first roll back to Win10 1709 to see what happens.  You could always capture an image of your existing 1803 installation to quickly recover that if needed, but seeing what happens on 1709 would be an interesting data point.

0 Kudos
CD21
1 Nickel

I've checked for firmware updates on the drive, and did all the driver updates that I could. Nothing at all helped. This started happening as soon as the laptop rebooted after the clean install. I'm not using a third party anti-virus, just windows defender that talks back to the Defender ATP portal. I'm a sys admin, so we can speak "computer," haha and I will completely understand.

I agree about rolling back to 1709 to see what happens and get that data point. I'm interested to see what happens, but I'll also probably go ahead and purchase the drive upgrade. Better performance never hurt anyone, right?!

I won't get a chance to roll back to 1709 until Monday, I'll post my results back then, and in the mean time I'll get that drive ordered.

Thanks for your insights!

0 Kudos