stozk
1 Nickel

XPS13 9370 Bluescreen "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" HAXM + Fingerprint

Hello everyone,

I was recently plagued by bluescreens on my relatively new (3 weeks) XPS13 9370 (9370, i7-8550U, 512/16GB UHD, WIN10 Pro).

The blue screen (MEMORY MANAGEMENT) always came up when I wanted to send the device to standby via the power button.

I was able to reproduce the problem: As soon as you start Android Studio, run an AVD and then touch the power button respectively fingerprint reader, the blue screen appears.

In this context (XPS13 9370 Android Studio Bluescreen MEMORY MANAGEMENT) I came across the following thread on Gitub, where a user with an almost identical configuration has the same problem:

https://github.com/intel/haxm/issues/68

Apparently there is a problem with the Intel HAXM driver used by the Android Virtual Devices and the driver of the fingerprint reader (Goodix). If you deactivate the fingerprint reader, you can use the power button again, only without fingerprint.

If necessary, does this also occur with other models of the current generation in which the fingerprint reader is integrated in the power button?

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

BR

21 Replies
rokarnus
1 Copper

Re: XPS13 9370 Bluescreen "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" HAXM

I also have a brand new XPS13 with the same problem.

aradipatrik
1 Copper

I am also able to reproduce the issue, on my new Dell XPS 13 9370. It would be nice if Dell could submit an issue with Goodix, so others wouldn't have to wonder if the issue is with the hardware.

0 Kudos
dashart
1 Copper

I can confirm same issue for XPS 15 9570 with i7-8750h (win10 1803 (build 17134)).
Issues occurs if screen gets locked during running HAXM AVD.
BSOD occurs also in case app getting restarted in AVD during debugging.

Very frustrating.

0 Kudos

Hello all,

could you please provide an exact and simple step by step guide on how to duplicate this behavior?

Using a XPS 13 (9370), I've installed Android Studio incl. Intel HAXM, running the Android Studio with an open project and open emulator for a random Android device. If I send the system to sleep and wake it up using the power button everything is working flawlessly. I was not able to see the reported Bluescreen so far.

Fingerprint is setup and running on the power button.

With kind regards,

Florian

DellFlorian Steinau
Technical Resolution Expert
Resolution Expert Center
Twitter | LinkedIn | XING
0 Kudos
stozk
1 Nickel

I have the latest Android Studio version and a Pixel 2 AVD with API level 27 (Android 8.1) set up with HAXM 7.20.

1. The PC is freshly booted, I open Android Studio.

2. I run the application by pressing the "Run" button, select the AVD, which starts up and runs the app after the gradle build

3. I touch the fingerprint sensor and the BC occurs.

BUT I have performed a "fresh start" when I got the device and installed the latest drivers and needed tools from Dells support site which have shown after putting in my service tag.

Dell Update shows that all drivers are up to date.

Thank you stozk,

could you provide us this project/application you programmed or create a simple project/application that we could use for issue duplication?

I've already tried to run a sample application using a Nexus 4 AVD, but it didn't crash upon using the fingerprint sensor. Will have the XPS 13 (9370) in my hands again on monday, so I can test with Pixel 2 AVD too.

Kind regards,

Florian

DellFlorian Steinau
Resolution Expert Center
0 Kudos
stozk
1 Nickel

Hi Florian,

sadly I can't provide you with application code.

I've tried to run a Pixel 2 AVD which I wiped before and a new Nexus 4 AVD without deploying the application on it and the problem occured the same way.

BR

Daniel

PS:
I've recorded it here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nAAdhMHvyjJfSm9W8

0 Kudos
aradipatrik
1 Copper

For me, the issue appeared with the Nexus 5x AVD. I opened the Android studio, with the default Hellow World project, started the project on the Nexus 5x AVD, then after putting the laptop to sleep, it bluescreened. After disabling the fingerprint sensor in the device manager the problem went away. I have Goodix fingerprint driver, and it's up to date according to the Support Assist.
Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

thank you for the video.

I've tried with Pixel 2 AVD too but the bluescreen wont show up when using the fingerprint reader on the power button.

In addition another XPS 13 (9370) and a  XPS 15 (9575) has been tested with Android Studio and Intel HAXM, but there was also no bluescreen shown.

Is there any custom installation done for Android Studio or Intel HAXM like custom memory size etc.?

With kind regards,

Florian

DellFlorian Steinau
Resolution Expert Center
0 Kudos