Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2019 10:00

XPS15 9560 stuck on logo - need to boot twice for windows

Hi

My laptop is stuck on the Dell logo when the first time i power it after a shutdown.
I have to manually press the power button to power OFF and than power ON again to boot successfully, but this time the booting is a little slower and i could see the spinning wheel for few seconds under the Dell logo.

The same is not the case when i restart my Laptop from Windows.- it boots perfect with a small delay(spinning wheel).

So, Every time I shut down the laptop, I have to power ON, power OFF then power ON to boot successfully.

My Bios is up to date and the diagnostics - without any errors.

I found a post on the community forum where someone suggested turning off(Uncheck) "Fast startup" in "Power settings" as a temporary solution.

I tested this and seems it no more hangs on Dell Logo, but the booting to windows is slower with the spinning wheel.

Team any permanent solution?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 12th, 2019 09:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @plewaM 

This is just a temporary fix!!!

Go to "Settings"

Then to "System"

Then on the left hand side click on "Power & Sleep"

Then on the right hand side click on "Additional Power Settings"

Then on the left hand side click on "Choose what the Power Buttons do"

Then click on "Change settings that are currently available"

Then un-check "Turn on fast startup" then "Save Changes" and reboot.

Best regards,

U2 

NOTE: I am still trying to find a 9560 so I can duplicate the problem and find a permanent fix!!!

14 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 16:00

I have the same problem after using the "Dell Update" feature a few days ago. I described it here with screenshots: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/After-Dell-Update-XPS-15-9560-freezes-at-Dell-logo-on-start-up/m-p/7366349/highlight/false#M33860.

However, turning off fast start-up did not fix it for me (https://imgur.com/akcrprS).

Anyone know what is happening here? Maybe the most recent BIOS update messed something up?

September 4th, 2019 02:00

Having the same problem. Happened after last chipset software update. 

September 4th, 2019 07:00

I am having the same problem with my 9560 after a recent Dell update. A fix would be appreciated.

1 Message

September 4th, 2019 18:00

I have the same issue with my Dell XPS 15 9560. Turned off the "Fast Boost" already and it's been fixed sometimes, sometime's it stucks again.

September 8th, 2019 11:00

I get the same thing and I'm pleased I'm not alone. Started very recently, most likely the bios update. It happens whether I shutdown the laptop or just close the lid (standby/wakeup). Just sits there with the Dell logo until I hold down the power button to force off and then press it again to start. At which point it goes past the just sitting there and you get the Windows circular dots below the Dell logo. I would very much like a fix - the same as everyone else.

6 Posts

September 8th, 2019 11:00

Me too - 9560 with Fast Boost off. Happened after recent BIOS update.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2019 16:00

Same issue here. Turning off fast startup only resolves the problem after shutdown. When just closing the lid and waiting long enough, the issue reappears - which is very annoying because I cannot leave the laptop in sleep mode for too long now. BIOS is 1.16.0 from 26/07/2019 and the issue also appeared after some Dell Updates (cannot remember anymore if it was the BIOS, though). Pre-Boot diagnostics were fine.

1 Message

September 8th, 2019 16:00

Hey mate, did you get a fix for this? I tried re booting mine after the issue and got a stop code 21a. My laptop wont even start anymore

September 8th, 2019 17:00

No luck finding a resolution. Been looking around on the net but have not found a solution. Unfortunately, Dell has been on little help thus far. 

14 Posts

September 9th, 2019 16:00

Hello U2,

Thanks for responding!

I followed these exact steps in the past (https://imgur.com/akcrprS) and I have "Fast start-up" turned off. The problem that is described in these threads persists for me. As of now, I am shutting down my computer (fully) every time I stop using it, as if it goes into sleep - I cannot get it to boot up (it gets stuck at the black-screen Dell logo with no spinning dots; it never goes to the Windows log-in screen and requires a manual restart every time). 

Some other details of mine (from my original post) are here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/After-Dell-Update-XPS-15-9560-freezes-at-Dell-logo-on-start-up/td-p/7366300

https://imgur.com/phtRTHO

https://imgur.com/LFCs8mn

If I can provide any more information directly to you, to help us find a solution, let me know! Thanks again U2,

14 Posts

I have the exact same problem (XPS 9560) after the exact same BIOS update via the "Dell Update" software:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/After-Dell-Update-XPS-15-9560-freezes-at-Dell-logo-on-start-up/m-p/7366300#M33854

I've already turned off "Fast start-up." And now Dell Tech Support is trying to get me to pay them to provide a solution. It's nonsense.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community  @tm_XPS15 

Did you do it this way???

Go to "Settings"

Then to "System"

Then on the left hand side click on "Power & Sleep"

Then on the right hand side click on "Additional Power Settings"

Then on the left hand side click on "Choose what the Power Buttons do"

Then click on "Change settings that are currently available"

Then un-check "Turn on fast startup" then "Save Changes" and reboot.

Best regards,

U2 

EDIT: I just seen your other post and see you have already tried this.

I will pull one of this model from my warehouse in the morning and see if I can duplicate the problem.

Then see if I can find a permanent fix.

I'll post back with anything I find.

September 10th, 2019 01:00

With the 9560 models all being out of warranty now don't think Dell gives much of a **bleep** about them. Unfortunately statutory warranty only applies to physical electronics from the date of purchase and not to software delivered by the vendor years later. BUT come one Dell, no one is stopping you from doing the decent thing and fixing your stuff ups. You want repeat customers don't you?!

4 Posts

September 10th, 2019 09:00

I logged in here because I have the exact same issue with my XPS 15 9560. It started to happen after I installed a Dell Support Assistant update last week. Boot sequence gets stuck at the Dell logo black screen and won't start. Press and hold the power button to shut down, then power up again and the Dell logo screen appears with the swirly dots below and eventually boots into windows, albeit quite slowly.

I spent almost two hours with tech support last night and they couldn't find a solution. I don't understand everything he tried to be honest but he flashed the BIOS, reverted back to a previous BIOS version, then updated again, ran all kinds of cleanup tools and diagnostics but nothing has changed.

This is just the latest issue I've had with this machine, I don't think I'd buy another one again. I have to constantly re-install bluetooth, reset my display adapter, on and on. I will try disabling the fast startup and hopefully that works. I really wish they would find a proper solution to this.

No Events found!