PaperMan
2 Bronze

XPS15 Battery Issue

My battery has degraded to about 1 to 1.5 hr of charge.  I bought a new battery and installed it.  The battery charges completely. But, the battery does not get recognized - as I disconnect the power cable from the computer with the fully charged new battery in there, the computer behaves as if there is no power and shuts off.  I have done all the resetting suggestions (disconnecting, holding the power button for 30 sec, disabling/reenabling device from device controller, etc.  Any help?  THX.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mary G
7 Thorium

Re: XPS15 Battery Issue

Batteries must be brand new and must come from Dell or Dell Parts, not from private sellers on the internet. You don't say what exact model computer you have. See this-- Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions | Dell US

Check Dell for replacement battery. If the laptop is a newer model it will run on just the adapter alone with the battery removed in case you cannot find a genuine Dell battery.

0 Kudos
PaperMan
2 Bronze

Thanks Mary - it is XPS 15 9575.  It is a brand new battery from a 3rd party (due to the cost of Dell OEM part!)  Are you saying there is no way to let the laptop know there is a new battery installed if it is not a Dell OEM part?  That would be like buying a Honda CRV and only being able to install a battery from Honda. THX.

0 Kudos
ejn63
7 Gold

There are third party batteries that will communicate with the logic circuit on the system board, but there are also those that do not.

If you want a guarantee that the battery will communicate, the only sure thing is an OEM unit.

And it's becoming more and more common for cars to work only with OEM or OEM-certified batteries as well -- just ask any late model BMW owner, for one.

The OEM Dell battery:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=28062

0 Kudos
CM_CHEN
2 Bronze

Hi, Paperman,

I am in Canada and I called Dell's service department few days ago then I was transferred to sale representative. She told me there is no new battery available but they could sold me a refurbished battery with 3 months warranty.

In addition, this refurbished battery cost almost same money with DELL OEM in Internet's seller.

CM_CHEN_0-1617989344647.png

0 Kudos