XPS

2 Bronze

XPS15 m.2 ssd upgrade

I would like to buy the cheapest XPS15 (cnx95609).

This one comes with a 128GB SATA SSD and a 1TB HDD.

Is there a m.2 slot on the motherboard of this laptop? (since it is the same laptop only other drives)

Or should i go for the next step up which already has a m.2 drive installed (cnx95602)

Labels (7)
Replies (8)
7 Thorium

There's one M.2 slot on all of these -- so you can indeed upgrade the SSD by replacing the 128 with a larger capacity unit if you want.

The bigger drawback to the base model (and all the models that come with a 2.5" drive) is that the battery is smaller as a result.  

Ordering the system with only the M.2 drive allows the 97 WHr battery to be installed -- with the 2.5" drive, you're limited to a 56 WHr battery, so your runtimes will be appreciably lower if you choose a model with a 2.5" drive installed.

The 97 WHr battery cannot fit the system if there's a 2.5"  drive installed - the added cells take up the space used by the 2.5" drive.

I know i can upgrade the 128gb ssd with an other sata ssd.

What i need to know if this model also supports m2 drives on the motherboard. (since the normal ssd is sata)

Or did they remove the m2 slot on this model to keep down costs.

Drives, no - drive, yes.  There is on M.2 socket - and it takes either NVMe or SATA.

@Nickblockhuiswrote:

I know i can upgrade the 128gb ssd with an other sata ssd.

What i need to know if this model also supports m2 drives on the motherboard. (since the normal ssd is sata)

Or did they remove the m2 slot on this model to keep down costs.

Using the term "SATA" is a bit ambiguous here since SATA is technically a protocol, not a form factor, and there are 2.5" SATA SSDs and M.2 SATA SSDs.  As ejn63 says, every XPS 15 always has an M.2 slot on the motherboard, and that slot can accept either an M.2 SATA or M.2 NVMe SSD.  Some XPS 15 systems have an additional bracket and cable that allows a 2.5" drive to be connected.  For systems that have both, you can use both at the same time.

Also, just to be clear, an XPS 15 that came with both a 128GB SATA SSD and 1TB SATA HDD would have a 128GB M.2 SATA SSD; it would NOT have dual 2.5" SSDs with an M.2 slot still available because there simply isn't enough room for dual 2.5" drives in the XPS 15 chassis.  So if you got that configuration, you would be able to replace the 128GB M.2 SSD with another M.2 SATA or M.2 NVMe SSD, and/or replace the 1TB HDD with another 2.5" spinning drive or a 2.5" SSD, but you would NOT be able to simply add another M.2 SSD to the existing two drives.  There's only one M.2 slot in the system.

Hi,

I had also had XPS 15 L521X which was configured 1 HDD + 1 mSATA SSD 32gb. Now , I do need to have SSD upgrade. Could you please advise:

1. Available slot for one more SSD : is it possible to have one slot available to attach one new SSD without removing any existing drives? 
  2. If no more slot for new SSD then I have to detach the mSATA 32gb ?
  3. What form factor of new SSD can I put in ? SATA, SATA III, M2 or mSATA only?

I am amateur and not sure what I can do about SSD upgrade. It is appreciated if someone can help me to point out hints.

Thank you in advance.

1. No.

2. Yes, that or the 2.5" drive.

3.  mSATA is a separate format from the now common M.2 (which in turn ships in both SATA and NVMe).  There are probably still some mSATA drives for sale -- they may be more expensive that you'd expect, and you'll likely find them limited to 512G at best.  Such is the nature of technology - once it becomes obsolete, the prices rise.

You can use ONLY mSATA in the is system - not M.2 (aka NGFF)

Hi ejn63 ,

Thank you very much for your info. I think I may replace the current HDD by a new SSD SATA which help me to have more choices than mSATA. This probably is better than using new bigger mSATA. 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions