Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

October 19th, 2018 07:00

changing the motherboard (BIOS) XPS 9575

i could not update the BIOS neither downgrade to an older version so the technical support over the phone told me that the motherboard must be replaced and it will be done by a technician from dell over in my house. i am honestly afraid of doing it because the laptop is brand new i have it like for one month and besides this the laptop is screaming .since everything is soldered on the motherboard Is it possible that by changing the motherboard other issues might begin?? should i leave the laptop with the current version of the BIOS and look the other way?? please someone help !!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 19th, 2018 07:00

Any chance you could explain why you are having problems or what type of problems you are having?

Many Bios will not allow you to go back to an earlier version, you system documentation should give you an indication.  If you feel the current Bios is the problem and you have already reset to Bios defaults, perhaps there is a new one coming out that might help with your problem.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

I can't go against Dell, especially if you are a warranty timer, but does your current Bios indicate it is the present one?  If not, have you tried installing the same one you already have?  You can use msinfo32.exe from a run box to show your current Bios.

Did Dell mention anything regarding resetting the NVRAM?

Again, I don't want to delay your situation but there are some strange happenings in the Bios updates for multiple systems.  Bioses being rolled back or removed completely from the download pages.

16 Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

launched support assist 3 drivers must be updated including the bios 2 of them get updated but the bios doesnt. tried doing it manually by downloading the driver from dell site  the file does not respond i contacted dell support they tell me that the motherboard needs to be replaced

16 Posts

October 21st, 2018 10:00

no dell didnt mention anything about NVRAM .... wjat do you mean there are many bioses being pulled back and how can i check if the same is happening with mine??

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 21st, 2018 13:00

@alekei wrote:
no dell didnt mention anything about NVRAM .... wjat do you mean there are many bioses being pulled back and how can i check if the same is happening with mine??

You know what Bios you have, or can find out, so you can compare what is available on the Download site.  I think the new Win 10 Build stirred things up some and problems with certain Bios releases were seeing problems.  But it may be unrelated.

The NVRAM is a special procedure used for certain types of problematic Bios situations, so I would not worry about that now, I was just wondering if Dell had mentioned it.

16 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 13:00

dell came into contact with me and suggested trying updating the BIOS through one time boot menu and a flash drive should i give it a shot ?? or should i be afraid that the update wont happen again and i will be left with a broken laptop??

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 18:00

If you will be sending it back to them anyway, do you really have anything to lose?

I would ask them about resetting the NVRAM.  If you look at the driver downloads page, there is a Support topics and articles.  The first topic listed is resetting the Real Time Clock.  Ask them if using that procedure might help.

No Events found!