Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:38

April 19th, 2018 00:00

Dealing with the exact same issue.Wondering if you sorted your issue out somehow with Dell Customer Service, as it's outrageous to pay for a component.

1 Message

April 28th, 2018 19:00

I paid for full repair and replacement.  As I believe it is an extremely unsafe issue, including having the laptops shipped in airplanes via FedEx, I reported it to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

1 Message

June 14th, 2018 03:00

Same issue

Dell XPS 13 9350 in UK

raised service tag

Followed instructions - collected by Dell

Returned 2 weeks later - fully repaired, new battery, new top panel

FOC

Well done Dell - it was 16 months old

3 Posts

July 10th, 2018 20:00

Exactly the same issue. My Dell XPS 13 9350 is 2 1/2 years old and thus half a year out of warranty. Dell refuses to accept responsibility (i.e. replace the battery under goodwill and fix any possibly damaged parts, and the Dell authorized repair center here on Bali, ID, doesn't even have the battery available ("it will take 2 - 3 months to get it, we suggest to go to one of the distributors directly"). The recommendation to go through third party suppliers I have on email record, should anyone doubt.

Overall an abysmal service for a poorly designed "premium" product (coil whine, overheating, the usual). Never again buying a Dell!

Funny side note: when calling Dell's international after sales service, they referred me to the Indonesian service. I inquired about the service number to call, and the first number was their own (the international warranty service number in the US that I was calling just now). After pointing out that that could not possibly be correct, it took several minutes for the service guy to come up with two other numbers, one of which, the main one, was out of service...

1 Message

August 13th, 2018 15:00

I just noticed the same distortion on my XPS13.  I have sent notes to Dell Premium Support. We'll see.....

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 13th, 2018 16:00

While waiting, get the battery out of the system and out of your home or office.  It is a safety issue.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2018 15:00

Exactly the same issue. It is the second time it happened on same laptop. After having a few long conversations with customer service, they did not replace - anything.

Customer service told me that it is due to overcharging, I should not keep my laptop on charge 24/7 (!)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 18th, 2018 12:00

Just adding to the string, same problem here and the laptop is 14 months old.  Dell customer service suggested I pay $58.00 and send in the laptop for them to diagnosis. I sincerely hope these failing batteries are not the fire hazard that can be a result of failing Li-ion batteries.

1 Message

September 15th, 2018 18:00

The same thing has happened to me with my XPS 9350 after 21/2 years.  I contacted Dell support.  They said that the same thing had happened on the XPS 9550 and they had a recall where the battery and damaged parts were replaced at no cost to the consumer.  However, they said that with the XPS 9350 no recall was issued because of no-one reporting the identical problem.  After reading multiple posts about the identical problem on this site I find it hard to believe they are unaware of the problem.  Their suggestion was to send it to Dell by UPS and have the parts repaired (all costs are the consumer responsibility).  I find it incredible that they would not issue a recall. The issue demonstrates a lack of corporate responsibility and a is a public safety issue.  I intend to contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission as well as my Congressman and Senators, Consumer Reports as well as post on several consumer computer technical sites so that others can be informed of the safety risks. I have been a Dell customer for my personal and corporate needs for many years, but their nearsightedness on this issue has caused me to decide to never buy a Dell product again.

September 19th, 2018 04:00

Same thing here, for the second time...

I had the battery changed by Dell something like 10 months ago, and it is swelling up again. I have the laptop closed and plugged to the Dell WD-15 (and then to 2 screens) all the time, maybe that doesn't help?

Of course, it also coil whines, overheat, and has terrible battery life...

1 Message

October 1st, 2018 09:00

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Dell XPS 13 9350. I bought it refurbished and the problem happened 13 months later.

Regards,

Luiz Laranjeira

Gaithersburg, MD

1 Message

November 23rd, 2018 03:00

Same issue (UK). 2.5 year old XPS 13 9350 out of warranty. Battery swollen, causing damage to track pad, palm rest etc. 

Dell collected for £40. They have quoted £650 to repair ( I only paid around £800 for it new!)

In the UK and EU there is consumer law that is relevant here. I purchased in the UK from Microsoft Store online. They have denied the law and sent me (a) back to Dell and  (b) directly to the EU arbitration platform 

So I am now in a long process of arbitration with Microsoft, and if that doesn't work it is court. Meanwhile the XPS is at Dell.

You can forgive small firms for not knowing the law from the outset but these firms should have processes in place to deal with this kind of thing.  

Photo of damage.jpg

1 Message

January 5th, 2019 19:00

I hope everything is going well with your laptop. I love my XPS 13-9350.

1 Message

January 15th, 2019 01:00

Same issue here, it's pathetic Dell won't replace this, be different if the battery just stopped working not that it would swell and break the rest of the machine

10 Posts

July 5th, 2019 06:00

No Events found!