MKF1
1 Copper

dell xps 13 9350 touchpad lifted and battery swollen

My XPS 13 9350 is out of warranty and I had a lifted touchpad. After internet research I realized I likley had a failed battery.  After removing the laptop to my fire-safe, garage I noticed the bulging keyboard and was (eventually) diagnosed with swollen battery.  My laptop is 26 months old.  I went through non-warranty technical support, explained that I thought it was a swollen battery just like the XPS 9550 and they told me it could not be the XPS 9350 battery because that one wasn't under recall. They said I would have to pay for shipping and diagnosis because it was out of warrantee.  I paid for expedited shipping ($63.12), it was FedEx'd, and indeed, Dell diagnosed the problem as a swollen battery, but because it was the 9350 and not the 9550, I would also have to pay for repairs because the 9350 was not recalled.  The repairs are for refurbished hardware. Even though I was willing to pay for new, they only have refurbished and could not give me a new battery. I paid $190.46 for the battery, new touchpad and heat sink.

A swollen battery is a failure of the battery which has exceeded its safety limits. Safety limits should not be exceeded, thus there was a failure of the safety limits allowing my battery to swell.  As my laptop is always closed, I may not have noticed it wasn't closing all the way and I may not have noticed this dangerous condition. It was only by luck that I noticed this condition.  This battery should be recalled due it's ability to bypass the safety limits.

These batteries need to be recalled due to fire and explosion hazard.  While I understand technical support is bound by their rules, regulations and procedures, and thus could not waive the charges for shipping and repairs, I would like Dell customer service to reimburse me for this failure because the Dell XPS 13 9350 is just as dangerous and prone to catastrophic failure as the XPS 9550 and need to be recalled. 

17 Replies
catalinstoica
1 Copper

Re: dell xps 13 9350 touchpad lifted and battery swollen

Dealing with the exact same issue, and it's certainly a recall matter due to fire and explosion hazard on 9350 too.

Wondering if you sorted your issue out somehow with Dell Customer Service, as it's outrageous to pay for a component that could leave me impaired if it explodes or eventually set my house on fire, due to their manufacturing fault!!! 

0 Kudos
MKF1
1 Copper

I paid for full repair and replacement.  As I believe it is an extremely unsafe issue, including having the laptops shipped in airplanes via FedEx and possibly putting flight crews at extreme risk, I reported it to the Consumer Product Safety Commision. I recommend all who have this same issue do the same. 

0 Kudos
Kevin Thorn
1 Copper

Same issue

Dell XPS 13 9350 in UK

raised service tag

Followed instructions - collected by Dell

Returned 2 weeks later - fully repaired, new battery, new top panel

FOC

Well done Dell - it was 16 months old

0 Kudos
Kai12345
1 Copper

Exactly the same issue. My Dell XPS 13 9350 is 2 1/2 years old and thus half a year out of warranty. Dell refuses to accept responsibility (i.e. replace the battery under goodwill and fix any possibly damaged parts, and the Dell authorized repair center here on Bali, ID, doesn't even have the battery available ("it will take 2 - 3 months to get it, we suggest to go to one of the distributors directly"). The recommendation to go through third party suppliers I have on email record, should anyone doubt.

Overall an abysmal service for a poorly designed "premium" product (coil whine, overheating, the usual). Never again buying a Dell!

Funny side note: when calling Dell's international after sales service, they referred me to the Indonesian service. I inquired about the service number to call, and the first number was their own (the international warranty service number in the US that I was calling just now). After pointing out that that could not possibly be correct, it took several minutes for the service guy to come up with two other numbers, one of which, the main one, was out of service...

0 Kudos
KylerB
1 Copper

I just noticed the same distortion on my XPS13.  I have sent notes to Dell Premium Support. We'll see.....

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

While waiting, get the battery out of the system and out of your home or office.  It is a safety issue.

0 Kudos
kutalmis
1 Copper

Exactly the same issue. It is the second time it happened on same laptop. After having a few long conversations with customer service, they did not replace - anything.

Customer service told me that it is due to overcharging, I should not keep my laptop on charge 24/7 (!)

0 Kudos
lafngas
1 Copper

The same thing has happened to me with my XPS 9350 after 21/2 years.  I contacted Dell support.  They said that the same thing had happened on the XPS 9550 and they had a recall where the battery and damaged parts were replaced at no cost to the consumer.  However, they said that with the XPS 9350 no recall was issued because of no-one reporting the identical problem.  After reading multiple posts about the identical problem on this site I find it hard to believe they are unaware of the problem.  Their suggestion was to send it to Dell by UPS and have the parts repaired (all costs are the consumer responsibility).  I find it incredible that they would not issue a recall due to the possibility of fire injuring the consumer and damaging their home, much less the airplane that it is shipped on by UPS. The issue demonstrates a lack of corporate responsibility and a is a public safety issue.  I intend to contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission as well as my Congressman and Senators, Consumer Reports as well as post on several consumer computer technical sites so that others can be informed of the safety risks. I have been a Dell customer for my personal and corporate needs for many years, but their nearsightedness on this issue has caused me to decide to never buy a Dell product again.

0 Kudos
NIls_Tillander
1 Copper

Same thing here, for the second time...

I had the battery changed by Dell something like 10 months ago, and it is swelling up again. I have the laptop closed and plugged to the Dell WD-15 (and then to 2 screens) all the time, maybe that doesn't help?

Of course, it also coil whines, overheat, and has terrible battery life...

0 Kudos