llaranjeira
1 Copper

Re: dell xps 13 9350 touchpad lifted and battery swollen

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Dell XPS 13 9350. I bought it refurbished and the problem happened 13 months later.

Regards,

Luiz Laranjeira

Gaithersburg, MD

0 Kudos
C_B
1 Copper

Same issue (UK). 2.5 year old XPS 13 9350 out of warranty. Battery swollen, causing damage to track pad, palm rest etc. 

Dell collected for £40. They have quoted £650 to repair ( I only paid around £800 for it new!)

In the UK and EU there is consumer law that is relevant here. Under UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 it is the retailer you have to go after, rather than the manufacturer. Consumers have right to repair or replacement of goods that are not of satisfactory quality. 

Did others buy from Dell? I purchased in the UK from Microsoft Store online. They have denied the law and sent me (a) back to Dell and  (b) directly to the EU arbitration platform (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/arbitration/EU-ODR.aspx). 

So I am now in a long process of arbitration with Microsoft, and if that doesn't work it is court. Meanwhile the XPS is at Dell - at least it won't burn my house down.

You can forgive small firms for not knowing the law from the outset but these firms should have processes in place to deal with this kind of thing.  

Photo of damage.jpg

0 Kudos
XPS-13-9350
1 Copper

You put flight crews at risk because of your issue with a Dell product? That is irresponsible. Do you know how many accidents and loss of life in the aviation industry there have been due to in-flight fires? I'm a pilot myself and this is what worries me...something happening in the back that's beyond my control.

I hope everything is going well with your laptop. I love my XPS 13-9350.

0 Kudos
zebidiah
1 Copper

Same issue here, it's pathetic Dell won't replace this, be different if the battery just stopped working not that it would swell and break the rest of the machine

0 Kudos
mikekasky
1 Copper

After the swollen battery was replaced about 2 years ago, I now have the same problem again. Apparently Dell uses the same faulty battery all the time, not only in new devices but also when replacing old ones. How is this possible? In addition, Dell customer service tries to deny any responsibility. As I said, it's not about wear and tear, the battery capacity is great. The point is that the battery becomes a safety problem and therefore falls under product liability laws. Since I hardly use the trackpad, I wait until Dell contacts me out of a sense of responsibility.
0 Kudos
mikekasky
1 Copper

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

Welcome to the Dell Community  @mikekasky 

Please remove the battery and run on AC, until you replace the battery.

Handling swollen Lithium-ion batteries:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/xps-15-9575-2-in-1-laptop/swollenbattery/handling-swol...

XPS 15 9530 Owner's Manual:

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos
crispin1
1 Copper

I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME STUFF RIGHT NOW WITH DELL.  MY BATTERY WAS SWOLLEN AND THEN EXPLODED. A REAL EXPLOSION! IT WENT UP IN FLAMES AND THEN EXPLODED AGAIN! I WAS IN BED AT THE TIME IT EXPLODED, THIS WAS A DEFECTIVE BATTERY, A NORMAL BATTERY DOES NOT SWELL UP AND THEN EXPLODE.ALL THEY ARE OFFERING ME IS A REFURBISHED COMPUTER. I COULD HAVE LOST MY HOME OR HAVE GOTTEN SERIOUSLY HURT!

0 Kudos