Highlighted
2 Bronze

low performace xps 15 9570 (gaming)

Hello, I bought my xps 15 9570 a year ago (512gb ssd, 16ram, geforce gtx 1050 ti max-q, i7 8th gen) with the purpose of using it for university and also for gaming, in the beginning it was perfect, gaming fps as it should be. But in the last few months, the performance while gaming just dropped significantly. I play games like league of legends, hearthstone, cs go, and now valorant. They used to run above 100 fps with max settings, and now cs go and valorant stays around the 40fps mark, even if i turn down the quality setting, the fps still doesn't change, sometimes it hits 120 fps and then drops again. I updated all the system and GPU drivers, and also the BIOS, besides windows 10. Also tried to change some nvdia control panel settings to improve performance, nothing worked.  Also tried changing the dell power manager to ultra performance, still doesn't improve at all. Overall the system performance is fine, but for some reason gaming used to be a lot smoother. I just don't know what to do anymore, and I am open to any advises.valorant fps.jpeg

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: low performace xps 15 9570 (gaming)

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery.  Thoroughly clean out any dust inside -- particularly on the fans and heatsinks.  Just a thin layer of dust will prevent the cooling system from doing its job.  

Highlighted
2 Bronze

thanks man, i was reading some stuff and they said it would probably help if I used a thermal paste.. i will probably try that too.

0 Kudos
3 Silver

RePasting can help, but if it was working fine before you probably only need to clean the vents.

It is VERY easy to damage the heat pipes, so if you're going to repaste be super careful.  One little kink from a slight bend can ruin the heat pipe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

i appreciate your advice, i'll try to clean the vents first and if i didn't decrease the temperature i will take a look for someone that has some experiencie repasting. I just tried undervolting (-0.120) and it helped a bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have exactly the same issue. Started playing CSGO after a long break, and it's unplayable. Did you manage to find a solution?

Thinks I did so far:

• Cleaned the fans
  • Repasted
  • Added thermal pads to the VRMs
  • Disconnected/Reconnected the battery

Nothing worked. Still bad performance while gaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

What version of the BIOS are you guys running?
It's possible the latest few BIOS updates decreased the performance because of security fixes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

guess i'm using the last one, but i reset the factory setting to be able to undervolt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: low performance xps 15 9570 (gaming)

i will ask someone to clean the fans and repaste my computer, because i noticed that the temperatures were causing thermal throttling, i'll reply later to tell if it worked.

0 Kudos