Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

December 6th, 2018 17:00

FYI @9360 users! BIOS 2.10.0 is out - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=T7XJF&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9360-laptop

As far as I can tell, it's fixed the problem!

Thanks for your hard work, Justin & all the engineers who worked on the update!

1 Message

March 10th, 2019 10:00

After reading about USB Type-C possibly being related here, I just plugged in my backup USB Type-C charger and wiggled it around a bit. BAM problem is gone! double press = double output

Note, I also installed BIOS 1.12.1 and Intel Chipset 10.1.18019.8144.

81 Posts

February 6th, 2018 04:00

Check that "Filter keys" are disabled in the windows keyboard settings.

9.4K Posts

February 6th, 2018 04:00

Hi SoccerChamp42,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Here is an article from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 6th, 2018 07:00

I have seen my system do something similar, but I was wondering if the speed you type the letters has any effect?

Some systems seem to have built in delays which can be very annoying.  Things such as system notification sounds being delayed or scrolling not working immediately and letters delayed in displaying after the key being hit.

For instance, if I use Mail and drag the e-mail to the left to delete, I may have to do it twice or leave my finger on the screen a second for the system to see the input.

81 Posts

February 6th, 2018 08:00

Two more options:

• You can try to connect an external keyboard (usb/bluetooth) to check whether this is hardware or software issue.
  • You may run Linux installed on usb pendrive to validate that problem is only Windows specific. If it will be present there - this will suggest BIOS or electrical issue.

February 6th, 2018 15:00

remove

81 Posts

February 7th, 2018 03:00

Last set of ideas to try:

• run Dell Diagnostic utility (F12 at boot time)
  • go to Devices Manager, look for keyboard entries (in 9370 there will be two of them; both drivers are supplied by Microsoft) and in the properties look at keyboard status description (textarea the bottom of the window)
  • try to reinstall keyboard drivers (device manager > select keyboard interface > properties > update driver)
  • browse through Windows Event manager logs to find something keyboard related
  • try to lift each keyboard key (watch out to not accidentally detach them) - maybe one of them is slightly jammed and blocks default input rate causing "character drops". If this will not help you can try the other way: press harder each keyboard key to "unstuck" it. Function keys are the most suspicious in such situation since "stuck key" like that do not enter visible character in the text fields.
  • keyboard connector might be loose - without notebook disassembly you may try to check this by gently shaking the device or trying to type in non standard position ie. upside down (I know this is weird but have no other idea how to check this without opening the device; you will perform this operation on your own responsibility ;] ). Any change in keyboard behavior will confirm that issue.

February 7th, 2018 14:00

remove

1 Message

February 8th, 2018 14:00

I just purchased this laptop as well and are having the same delays. Confirmed it happens with all keys, not just a certain one.  I also type at a very fast speed and the keyboard often lags behind. I also repeatedly typed the same keys over and over, and it consistently skips.

Hope Dell gets this fixed!!! Trying to figure out if I need to return it since it is within the 30 days.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 11th, 2018 15:00

My Latitude 7480 does this too.  It's absolutely infuriating, especially for me since I type 140 WPM, which means I encounter this quite a bit.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Expanding on the above reply, my previous work systems (Latitude E7440 and E6430), my current personal system (an older XPS 15 9530), and my wife's laptop (an XPS 13 9360) do NOT exhibit this issue, and now that I'm reading the XPS 13 9370 does, I'm thinking about these as possible explanations.  The Latitude 7480 and XPS 13 9370 use the newer I2C interface to connect their keyboard and touchpad to the motherboard.  This is also called S-e-r-i-a-l IO -- for some reason this forum doesn't accept that word when written normally??  Anyway, the XPS 13 9350 also uses I2C, but perhaps only for the touchpad rather than the keyboard.  Prior to I2C, laptop keyboards interfaced with motherboard over either USB or even legacy PS2.  I suppose it's possible this is some inherent limitation of I2C, but I bet the more likely explanation is that Dell has standardized on a keyboard controller across multiple systems and it has some firmware or hardware bug or limitation.  If it's firmware, hopefully this gets resolved soon.  If it's the latter, hopefully they start using a better controller going forward, although that obviously wouldn't help anyone plagued by this issue on their current system.

5 Posts

I have the exact same issue and I've already posted before about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7umjid/repeating_keystrokes_not_registering_correctly_on/. It's just such a shame that XPS 13 9370 has got such a great form factor and price but such horrible hardware that matters the most for productivity. I've already returned mine. No serious programmer/touch typer is going to be able to use this computer until Dell somehow fixes this issue, which I can't afford to wait for apparently.

February 15th, 2018 09:00

remove

81 Posts

February 16th, 2018 03:00

Not all devices are affected with this issue (mine i7/fhd/non-touch/16GB RAM) is free of it. So you might get lucky to buy one without such problem. But now, after reading a lot about Dell's quality for their high priced products, and struggling with some issues with mine I would recommend to take a look at Microsoft or Apple notebooks (Yeah, I know that there are also not absolutely problems free) or just wait a couple of months for Dell to fix/enhance manufacturing, quality check processes and software related problems.

No Events found!