SoccerChamp42
1 Nickel
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: XPS 13 9370 Keyboard Skips Button Presses

Jump to solution

@Community,

Thank you for all your reports on this keyboard concern and also for your feedback regarding 1.3.2. We now have 1.3.3 which retains the keyboard fix, as well as adds other updates.

Capture.PNG

@rbaba87

Yes, the 9365 will be receiving the keyboard fix in the future. I just don't have the ETA yet.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

161 Replies
perpetoom
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Check that "Filter keys" are disabled in the windows keyboard settings.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi SoccerChamp42,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Here is an article from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful.  

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
SoccerChamp42
1 Nickel

remove

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

I have seen my system do something similar, but I was wondering if the speed you type the letters has any effect?

Some systems seem to have built in delays which can be very annoying.  Things such as system notification sounds being delayed or scrolling not working immediately and letters delayed in displaying after the key being hit.

For instance, if I use Mail and drag the e-mail to the left to delete, I may have to do it twice or leave my finger on the screen a second for the system to see the input.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
perpetoom
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Two more options:

• You can try to connect an external keyboard (usb/bluetooth) to check whether this is hardware or software issue.
  • You may run Linux installed on usb pendrive to validate that problem is only Windows specific. If it will be present there - this will suggest BIOS or electrical issue.
0 Kudos
SoccerChamp42
1 Nickel

remove

0 Kudos
perpetoom
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Last set of ideas to try:

• run Dell Diagnostic utility (F12 at boot time)
  • go to Devices Manager, look for keyboard entries (in 9370 there will be two of them; both drivers are supplied by Microsoft) and in the properties look at keyboard status description (textarea the bottom of the window)
  • try to reinstall keyboard drivers (device manager > select keyboard interface > properties > update driver)
  • browse through Windows Event manager logs to find something keyboard related
  • try to lift each keyboard key (watch out to not accidentally detach them) - maybe one of them is slightly jammed and blocks default input rate causing "character drops". If this will not help you can try the other way: press harder each keyboard key to "unstuck" it. Function keys are the most suspicious in such situation since "stuck key" like that do not enter visible character in the text fields.
  • keyboard connector might be loose - without notebook disassembly you may try to check this by gently shaking the device or trying to type in non standard position ie. upside down (I know this is weird but have no other idea how to check this without opening the device; you will perform this operation on your own responsibility ;] ). Any change in keyboard behavior will confirm that issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SoccerChamp42
1 Nickel

remove

JJFlyItUp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just purchased this laptop as well and are having the same delays. Confirmed it happens with all keys, not just a certain one.  I also type at a very fast speed and the keyboard often lags behind. I also repeatedly typed the same keys over and over, and it consistently skips.

Hope Dell gets this fixed!!! Trying to figure out if I need to return it since it is within the 30 days.

0 Kudos