Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

April 23rd, 2018 04:00

"This is with regards to the keyboard issue you had reported, We have reviewed through the details and the next BIOS update is expected to be released before 04/30/2018 so we will ensure we keep a track of it and we will send you a link to update it."

This is part of a message I just got from Dell - looks like this keyboard issue may be fixed in an XPS 13 9370 BIOS update sooner than expected.

Update: They just got back to me again saying the release is scheduled 05/08/2018 now (8th May).

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 24th, 2018 12:00

@CalmDownMonkey,

Yes, XPS 13 9370 BIOS version 1.3.1 has been packaged and is now waiting in line to be web posted.

@ronaande,

I searched and found no current plans to resolve this issue for 9365. I have since replicated the same issue on my lab's 9365 and am reporting this to Dell engineering shortly. 

@sivs,

I have personally replicated the issue on the Latitude 7490 and reported it to Dell engineering. Just waiting for them to get back with a commitment to resolve. I will post updates here.

April 24th, 2018 15:00

@DELL-Justin C

This is great news!

Would you happen to know if it's related to this keyboard issue too, or if that one will be addressed separately? 

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-keyboard-doesn-t-detect-simulataneous-keypresses-reliably/m-p/6067614#M10109

Thanks a lot!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 25th, 2018 16:00

@CalmDownMonkey,

I have not heard of that issue. I'll follow-up with @DELL-Jesse L and/or try to replicate the behavior. 

May 2nd, 2018 05:00

@DELL-Justin C

Hey, did you get anywhere replicating this issue? 

It should be immediately obvious if you press any two keys at the same time on this:

http://keyboardchecker.com/

Also, I assume the BIOS fix we're talking about here should appear on the website any day now?

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 01:00

Hi @DELL-Justin C,

Any update on this issue? I am experiencing the same on a new XPS 13 2-in-1 9365, and I am very close to returning the laptop, as this issue makes it very hard to use this as a development machine.

May 3rd, 2018 19:00

I'm experiencing the same thing as @CalmDownMonkey so I hope the two issues are related and fixed in this BIOS update!

7 Posts

May 5th, 2018 13:00

@Nakmor

I stumbled upon this thread after having an issue with double-presses when clicking on the right edge of the spacebar (which is where I ALWAYS click). It seems to only happen when I type fast, and the second press almost always happens after pressing another key. I wonder if you were experiencing similar issues? I fear this might be an actual physical issue, and not possible to fix with software since it works fine when using any other part of the space-bar (which is quite awkward for me to do).

However, upon reading this thread, I've tried to also replicate the issues described here, and I am definitely experiencing the same thing - although maybe less often than what is mentioned here. 

@DELL-Justin C

Is the BIOS update still on for the 8th of May? I plan on opening a support case for this issue and the double-press issue described above, but if the update is coming in a few days, I might give that a chance first.

Unfortunately, this absolutely ruins my experience with what is otherwise a cool laptop, and will have to return it if not fixed very soon since I need it for work.

May 5th, 2018 21:00

Yeah you are right.

24 Posts

May 5th, 2018 21:00

Same problem here, random key presses are being missed which makes for a terrible experience. Entering a credit card number is a difficult with this bug. Along with the wifi not working when waking on sleep, and going to sleep when I've configured it not to....there are no end of issues with this laptop. If I weren't out of the country I would return it

May 8th, 2018 20:00

I returned my X1C gen 6 for a similar issue. Waiting for this fix (and it's certainly going in my review).

7 Posts

May 9th, 2018 08:00

@DELL-Justin C

Any word on this issue?  I'm having the same issue, (and it is quite frustrating to be constantly correcting "spelling" mistakes in a linux terminal, or windows, when typing too fast)

I was reading in this forum that a bios update may resolve this, and that it would perhaps be posted (unofficially)  on May 8th?  That hasn't happened, so I'm wondering about a more official timeline.  Is something wrong with bios 1.3.1 that it still hasn't been posted?

Thanks

May 9th, 2018 08:00

Well, it's 9th may and the updated, scheduled for the 8th (and previously scheduled for april 28), has not been released.

This keyboard situation is unbearable, too bad I'm outside of returning period :(

7 Posts

May 9th, 2018 09:00

Yeah, I realise the May 8th date was a "leaked/hearsay" date. :)

@DELL-Justin Chowever, seemed to indicate it was "ready" and "waiting to be posted" (which was 2 weeks ago), so thought I'd ask about an update, to maybe help push this along (along with all my tech support tickets from calling dell so often!) ;)

As i'm sure everyone is, it's just so frustrating to use this brand-new laptop, typing a command I use so often like:

cd data/something/something

that ends up showing on the terminal as:

cd adta/osmethnig/smoehting

And I don't even think I'm typing that fast! Definitely under 70words/min

;)

Anyhow, hopefully we'll hear something soon.  I'm even willing to try beta UEFI firmwares.  Because, like you said "it really is that much of an issue".

(It also makes me wonder why no engineer/QA person/or even reviewer of this laptop (from any tech sites that I've read reviews from), has even noticed this, when it was released.  It took me less than 10 minutes with it to discover this ;) 

7 Posts

May 9th, 2018 09:00

To be fair, the May 8th was a tentative date "leaked" by a member of the support team, and wasn't an official date.

That said, it's very disappointing that this is still an issue. I think a lot of us would be more than happy to test out in-development BIOS to mitigate this issue despite the risks associated because it really is that much of an issue.

No Events found!