This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

7 Posts

May 16th, 2018 13:00

Looks like the update did indeed resolve the issues for me too. Keyboard is working great even when typing at my usual 80-90wpm speed. :)

So happy that I don't have to return this laptop as I'm quite happy with it overall.

1 Message

May 16th, 2018 16:00

This update fixed the keyboard issues for me too! :)

A bit off topic here, but do any of you have a slight vertical banding on your displays? With mine I notice a faint dark vertical band on the left side of the screen if I am viewing a darker colour, other situations don't really notice it.

3 Posts

May 16th, 2018 19:00

I'm happy to update that the latest BIOS fixed the keyboard issues and I have no more complaints about the keyboard! Very happy with the XPS 13 9370 now!

7 Posts

May 16th, 2018 20:00

@saigai, thanks for the post!

I haven't used my Dell XPS 9370 for over a week (and not very much since getting it) due to this frustrating issue. I randomly decided to check-in on this thread.  Saw your post!

I flashed bios 1.3.2, and so far so good! Keyboard issue looks resolved!  What a relief!

I've been trying to replicate the usual spelling "mistake" keyboard issues, and have not had an issue yet!  I finally will get to enjoy and use this very nice laptop!

Also, I assume @DELL-Justin C helped push this along, so thanks for that!

7 Posts

May 16th, 2018 23:00

I can add to the tally of people who are very pleased with the update. I still don't understand how this issue wasn't found before release or why no reviewers have mentioned it. Maybe it only affected certain revisions?

Either way, I'm happy that it is resolved, and thank you to Justin for helping to push it along.

20 Posts

May 17th, 2018 00:00

Hi guys can you please tell me your bios boot time? You can see that number under the "startup label" in the task manager window. Thanks in advance!

1 Message

May 18th, 2018 09:00

I was having the same issues with the keyboard.

In my case it not only happened when typing, but also when using my short cuts to change windows and desktops (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+Arrow). Often it was only picking the Ctrl+Arrow or Alt+Arrow, which was quite annoying.

I use ubuntu 18.04, with mate desktop running i3.

I have just installed BIOS 1.3.2, and the experience improved a lot so far, I hope it lasts! :)

What I still experience a is sometimes it is missing space bar strokes when pressing with my left hand, but that might be a physical issue in the key.

To install the Bios, I copied the file: `sudo cp XPS_9370_1.3.2.exe /boot/efi/EFI/Dell/Bios/`, reboot, press F12 while boot, and select the right version.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2018 00:00

Thanks @DELL-Justin C,

I've applied the BIOS update and haven't noticed the problem all day.

For those using Linux, if you mount your EFI partition (Ubuntu 18.04 mounts it automatically in /boot/efi), you can simply copy the firmware exe to there, you don't need to put it on a USB thumbdrive. Then when you boot into the BIOS to update it, the firmware exe should just come up as an option.

7 Posts

May 21st, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the update including the fix will eventually appear in the Ubuntu Software Updates via the Dell PPA? (I'm still running the 16.04 LTS that my system shipped with.)

(I'm not imagining things am I? Previous firmware updates have been delivered via Ubuntu haven't they?)

Thanks!

7 Posts

May 27th, 2018 03:00

In response to my own question, the firmware update does not appear in the Software Updater application in Ububtu; however it does appear when checking for updates via the Details section of the Settings application.

I successfully installed the firmware update using this method yesterday.

And I'm very happy to report that it seems to have solved my particular issues as a game developer (and player): previously playing games using keyboard inputs was incredibly frustrating, due to the incorrect input ordering causing many games to get confused and respond differently than expected, especially when fast inputs are required.

This now seems to be solved.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2018 10:00

Hi Justin,

I see the release of the new BIOS to XPS 9370 but I have the same problem of skipping characters on XPS 9365. Is there any plan of release for a BIOS update for this problem on the 9365 as well?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 31st, 2018 10:00

@Community,

Thank you for all your reports on this keyboard concern and also for your feedback regarding 1.3.2. We now have 1.3.3 which retains the keyboard fix, as well as adds other updates.

Capture.PNG

@rbaba87

Yes, the 9365 will be receiving the keyboard fix in the future. I just don't have the ETA yet.

1 Message

June 6th, 2018 11:00

I believe this is a hardware issue--a spongy keyboard that is not a good fit for fast typers. I also type very fast and have enormous frustration with the spongy keyboard. I'm constantly re typing. It's very frustrating.

7 Posts

June 7th, 2018 01:00

@cactusscribe

Since most people are reporting no issues after the BIOS update, I find it hard to believe that this is a hardware issue. Maybe something is wrong with your unit? I had a faulty space bar that got fixed by Dell.

I am VERY happy with the physical feel of the keyboard. I honestly don't think that any other laptop keyboard in this form factor comes close to this. The trackpad on the other hand is very "meh".. But try to smash your fingers on a Macbook keyboard (especially the new ones) and you'll be aching to get back to this responsive little beast.

June 7th, 2018 09:00

I am facing a similar problem on my XPS 13 9360 where I consistently observe extra button presses, frequently pertaining to the "N" or "E" keys. The effect is:

entry becomes enntry 

lane becomes lanne or lanen

This only happens with the laptop's built-in keyboard; an external keyboard does not result in the issue.

Are Engineering aware of any known keyboard issues with the XPS13 9360? Please let me know if I can provide any additional useful information.

Best

Jordan

No Events found!