Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2019 00:00

xps 13 7390 2-in-1 FN F9 key

i realize for this model there is no FN key on F9 button. is there anyway that we could customize a personalize shortcut FN key on F9 ?

• 

25.1K Posts

November 12th, 2019 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Dell community forum. I'm Gopal and I'll assist you with your concern.

You can download the Dell cinema app from the Microsoft store.

The fn key is on the left of the keyboard and there is no option to customize a personalized shortcut FN key on F9.

Regards,
Dell-GopalD

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 12th, 2019 05:00

The Fn commands have to be supported by the system firmware. Some of those commands then get passed up to the OS, like volume controls, while others don’t, like Fn Lock (Fn+Esc). But even in the former case, the system only passes the resulting command to the OS, like ”Volume Up”, not the raw “Fn+some key” input. That means that the system won’t pass anything to the OS if you enter an invalid Fn key combination, so if the firmware doesn’t provide a way to define new function key combinations, then there’s no way for you to do so on your own.

However, you could look into Autohotkey. You wouldn’t be able to use the Fn key to define custom commands, but you could use any combination of other keys and have those combinations do all sorts of things. Autohotkey is extremely powerful.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 14th, 2019 21:00

@DELL-Cares  Gopal, this person's question has nothing to do with Dell Cinema....

• 

25.1K Posts

November 14th, 2019 21:00

Hi,

I hope you are doing good.

Were you able to download the Dell cinema app from the Microsoft store? If yes, is everything working fine?

Regards,

Dell-GopalD

58 Posts

November 17th, 2019 01:00

answer is unable to customize own key 

58 Posts

November 17th, 2019 01:00

i have this dell cinema app questions in another thread. anyway my question is does it come pre install as default for dell xps 13 2in1 7390 ?

6 Posts

April 27th, 2020 11:00

Hi Dell,

I recently bought xps 13 2-in-1, and I have almost 100% positive experience working with it, except for one very significant inconvenience. I'm a developer and when editing code I'm intensively using cursor keys Left/Right/Up/Down/Home/End, as well as function keys (F1-F12) for shortcuts.

Because of significant distance between Left/Right/Up/Down and Home/End keys I have to frequently change position of my right hand from bottom-right side of keyboard (where keys are located) to upper-right side (with Home/End keys), which makes me missing Home/End keys if I don't look at them.

Adding shortcut Fn+Left (for Home) and Fn+Right (for End) could significantly improve user experience and ergonomics of the keyboard. Please, consider to add feature request to add such shortcuts into keyboard firmware.

Thank you!

No Events found!