Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2019 07:00

XPS 13 9380, wake from sleep while lid is closed

I have had my new xps 13" for about a week now and a few times while I've had my laptop in my case, the system wakes from sleep and gets really hot. Any ideas what is happening?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 26th, 2019 11:00

The new Modern Standby systems can do that. If you have a Bluetooth mouse or use the PEN, they can bring it out of the Low Power idle condition it is in when the display is off. If the power switch is on the side of the system, possibly it could be pressed momentarily by the case.

Concerning the Laptop in a case, read the sticky, "FAQ Modern Standby".

3 Posts

April 26th, 2019 18:00

I'm not using Pens or pairing any Bluetooth devices. It's quite a concern when the first time it happened as it was running for a while before I noticed. It turned into an oven.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2019 09:00

This has also been happening with me. I cannot pinpoint the reason behind it. 

I regularly close my lid while running between meetings, but even then the machine will actually go to sleep and not wake up in transit. 

25 Posts

May 30th, 2019 10:00

you could do a sleep study on it. 

CMD prompt... 

powercfg /sleepstudy 

this will output a HTML file, which will show you why it was woken. 

3 Posts

May 30th, 2019 18:00

@Spykus wrote:

This has also been happening with me. I cannot pinpoint the reason behind it. 

I regularly close my lid while running between meetings, but even then the machine will actually go to sleep and not wake up in transit. 

yeah it's rather disappointing to spend so much money on a high end machine to have such a problem. I have my laptop in a case, so it went extremely hot after just having it for a few days. now not sure if there are any long term damage has occurred.

147 Posts

May 31st, 2019 18:00

It's not just Dell. This unexpected wake from sleep can occur with other manufacturers' laptops too -- including Apple. You'll find similar complaints on their forums. I've got my 9370 set to sleep with the close of the lid and it goes into hibernate mode after one hour. That way, it doesn't drain the battery. If I'm going to pack it away in a sleeve or bag, I always shut it down fully as a precaution. With an SSD, boot times aren't too bad, so I don't mind waiting a bit when I need to use the laptop again.

I doubt that your laptop has any permanent damage. But heat is definitely not great for the battery and is something to avoid.

12 Posts

June 17th, 2019 15:00

It also happens to me... it happened also in older models… I hoped this was solved in the new XPS13 wiht newest Windows 10... but the issue is still there… very very very dissapointing… annoying!!!! 

No Events found!