D

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 4th, 2023 20:00

xps 15 9500

XPS 15 9500

XPS 15 9500

Hellos - never had much issue with a dell machine. Ive always had latitudes. This is my 1st XPS. it is about a year old. I bought it with an installed OS, win10. I installed all my programs, then started to have issues that i believe is OS related. Win10 suddenly acts oddly. the search icon and any search in any open file menu is not functional. I ran through all the fixes and nothing works. I feel windows is broken, so i decided to reload windows fresh. I have the disk/dvd. 

I have several DVD drives and this XPS sees the drive fine, but it will not boot to the DVD drive.

I have ALL the security turned off in the bios. I have the usb's enabled. still the unit WILL NOT boot to the DVD or to the USBs at all. 

Just how am I supposed to load an OS on this machine from boot?

Please advise.  Thanks, dw

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 5th, 2023 03:00

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 5th, 2023 08:00

Thanks for the link, but this doesn't help me. Ive been loading windows for decades. 

Need some resolutions as to why this xps will not boot from a dvd or usb. Why was i not able to repair the windows search function. 

Are these issues software or xps related? 

Fyi. The search function is broken in windows. It is not usable. On this machine, windows sees the dvd drive. Upon boot it doesn't. I want to load windows upon boot. If the drive was blank, how would i do that?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 5th, 2023 10:00

DVD boot on older systems was a function of the BIOS -- your system does not have a BIOS, it's UEFI-only.

Rather than trying to make a UEFI-bootable DVD, use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to make a bootable flash drive.  

Connect it to the system, and power up, pressing F12.  From the boot menu, choose the drive and boot the system.

If the system is as setup by Dell, the drive will be in IRST/RAID mode.  You will need to put the IRST driver (link below) on the flash drive and pause the install when indicated.  Load the driver and continue the installation.

You need to extract the contents of the second link button below to a folder on the drive you create using the MMCT.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-10th-and-11th-gen-platforms.html

If you're set on trying the DVD boot, note that UEFI won't boot from DVD without alterations to setup.  See below.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124391/how-to-enable-boot-from-dvd-option-with-uefi-boot-mode-enabled-windows-10-8-1-8

You may also be able to reset the WIndows search catalog without the need for doing a reinstall (which should not be needed unless Windows won't start at all).

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-rebuild-windows-search-index-fix-problems/

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 5th, 2023 11:00

Thanks. Guess im used to the older systems. 

I've tried a few of the search fix methods in the bottom link to no evail. The search function doesn't work at all. The graphics don't work. I cant even write text in the file boxes. Im not sure what broken. Since it's a major function of windows, i figured i needed to start fresh. 

Ive also tried the script actions.

Ill abandon the dvd drive all together.

Dw

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 5th, 2023 15:00

Update. Fyi. None of the reset search solutions worked to fix the problem. Nothing has changed.

Regards, dw

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 6th, 2023 08:00

Final update. Im uncertain if windows unfunctional condition was due to the xps or the os. Nonetheless, anything i tried  be it in the bios or script/os/registry, nothing worked. I even tried to reload win10 from the os. This xps would not see a drive to boot from, so even a fresh install was not possible. I even tried to reload windows (from the partly functional. Hopefully would not blue.screen) to totally wipe everything for a fresh install. That didn't work either. Win10 was still not working properly. 

Before giving up entirely i managed to get a win11 install from Microsoft. I restored the original setup (restored from backup). The win11 upgrade took most of the night. This morning everything seems to be functional on win11.. not something i wanted to do, but it was all i had left. 

Im not certain what is wrong with this xps. It has no issues in its history from the dell service tag. 

While its working properly ill sell it and move to Acer. I can't have a computer with a potential for issues.  TY 

No Events found!