Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

7 Posts

July 25th, 2018 04:00

xps 9570 pch overheating

So I was downloading a steam game, I'm using school network so I got a 45mb/s download speed, and after a minute, I got a blue screen...

Fired up HWinfo64, try again, it turns out my PCH is at 92 degrees C. My CPU is at 57 degrees C and GPU 47, the ssd, the MOSFET, they are all fine. But why is my PCH so hot when I'm downloading at high speed?

PCH is not connected to the heatsink and is a passively cooled, exposed die. There's no airflow inside the case, and I can't just put a thermal pad there and call it a day. It only increases the thermal mass but still no thermal dissipation and it will still be hot AF after a few more minutes.

By the way I'm using an Ethernet to usb-c adapter instead of my wifi card. That's why it's not my wifi card that is exploding.

Pleas help.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 1st, 2018 06:00

@Panabuntu this thread relates to the issues with the 9570, not the 9550. To avoid confusion I shall respond on the thread you created for the 9550.

Alan

September 13th, 2018 06:00

Hi Alan,

I have recently gotten the XPS 15 (9570) and also experienced overheating of the computer at the left hand side of the keyboard. This happened when I was plugged a USB-C hub into the USB-C port on the left side of the laptop. The only thing that was plugged into the USB hub was a ethernet cable (1GBPS). I was not downloading anything - I was just surfing the web. If anything, I was running an internet speed test to see the connection speeds on my laptop as this was the first time I connected my USB hub to the laptop. 

Please help. Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 13th, 2018 07:00

@Hello__World can you provide more information on the system overheating please?

What kind of temperatures are you seeing during use?

Has the system ever shut down from excessive heat or thrown up any error messages about thermal thresholds or temperature related issue?

Alan

September 14th, 2018 03:00

Hi,

Okay just to clarify things - my laptop did not shut down from excessive heat, nor did any error messages pop up. So in the strictest sense of the word, my computer did not overheat. It just got abnormally hot so I decided to stop using the USB-C hub. 

When my computer got really hot, I wasn't doing anything CPU intensive on it. However, I had the standard (non USB-C) power supply plugged in as my battery was low. I tried to reproduce the problem after I posted this, but it did not heat up like it did previously. The power supply was still plugged in, although the battery was already full when I was trying to reproduce this.

I just tried to reproduce the problem once again (30% battery, power supply on, USB-C hub plugged in with ethernet cable) with HWiNFO64 on, and this time the laptop got really hot once again, with core temperatures hitting 100 degrees Celsius.

CPU status.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 14th, 2018 07:00

@Hello__World those temperatures for the proc are very high. I'll drop you a private message to get a few more details from you.

Alan

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 01:00

I'm reading this thread because I have similar issues with my 9570. I don't get why dell reps are going private messaging when a lot of people may enjoy a response or a hint for those problems listed in the threads. It's kind of annoying.

123 Posts

November 15th, 2018 11:00

@everyone I advise to put stacked 3x1.5mm thermal pads on the PCH. This will dramatically reduce the temperature of the PCH, and has the nice side effect, that the fans wont come on under idle or Internet usage.

I have no idea, how incompetent Dell can be about this, and not pad the PCH.

The irony also is, that the XPS consideres the PCH temperature for its fans, even no air flow is happening on the PCH via the fans. And it has also a ridiculously low value triggering the fans at about 50°C.

Browsing the internet or watching a video will cause the PCH to rise to 48-51°C easily after a few minutes, and will trigger the fans. With thermal pads, it stays stable around 33-38°C under that work flow and no fans kick in.

This is totally a design flaw of the XPS.

These work great: https://www.amazon.de/ARCTIC-Thermal-Pad-W%C3%A4rmeleitung-Installation/dp/B00UYTTMNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542310075&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic%2Bthermal%2Bpad&th=1

You can cut them to the right size.

1 Message

December 31st, 2019 20:00

By setting PCI-Express to Maximum Power Saving in the Power Settings you should resolve PCH overhitting problem. I know that this is not an ideal solution but it worked for me.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2020 14:00

I know is an old thread but was a definitive answer from dell given to this problrm? Also anyone was able to solve this. I have the pch temperature on my dell 9570 constantly at 80C, don't think is normal.

No Events found!