Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2020 00:00

xps laptop hardware differences between windows and linux

Hi,

I've had an XPS laptop and the hard drive has just failed so I'm looking to get a new XPS 9300. Are there any fundamental hardware differences between the Windows and Linux versions? If I got a Linux one, is there any reason I couldn't format and do a fresh install of windows 10? Just want to check there won't be any missing drivers etc.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

As ejn63 says, in theory they could require that.  But I'll say this.  I've worked in various IT roles over the last 15 years or so, including in roles where I was responsible for supporting hundreds of laptops, including dealing with warranty repairs when needed.  So I've dealt with far more warranty claims than the average person.  And I never ONCE was required to return my system to its factory state before I could get warranty service.  Especially in this case where Dell themselves sell and therefore support this system model running both Windows and Linux, it just doesn't make sense to me that they would refuse to support you until you installed the original OS that your particular system shipped with.  If you were buying a system that Dell only sold with Windows and tried to call about Linux issues, then yes that could definitely be a problem.  But this isn't that situation.  You're actually thinking about starting with Linux and moving to the much more COMMON platform of Windows.  I just can't imagine that being a problem.

I agree with ejn63 that if you want to play it safe, then ordering the laptop with the OS you plan to run is the safest approach.  But if that would be significantly more expensive because you'd be paying for a license that you didn't need since you had access to some other licensing source, then if I were in your position, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Linux configuration.  And while I of course can't know for sure or make any guarantees, I would be stunned if Dell wouldn't support my system while it was running Windows.  If anything, that would probably make it EASIER, simply because Dell sells vastly more Windows systems than Linux systems and therefore they will have more support staff that are set up to provide Windows support.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 27th, 2020 03:00

The fundamental hardware is identical, but check the peripheral differences (absence or presence of a fingerprint reader, etc.) on the specific model in question.
This  will wind up more expensive -- since you'll need to purchase a full license of Windows 10.  Also realize Dell will only support what it ships - they will not support Windows on the system (granted, this is short-term) -- but more importantly if you do wind up having to run through troubleshooting in advance of repair, they will require that you reload the factory OS image onto the system.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 27th, 2020 14:00

@Trebby  I personally wouldn't consider the ability to get OS troubleshooting assistance from Dell Support to be a dealbreaker.  Pretty much anything you can get from the typical Dell Support rep can be found with some Googling.  For hardware issues, they'll want you to run diagnostics, which are embedded into the firmware and will therefore be available regardless of what OS you're running.

7 Posts

July 27th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for this. It does actually work out quite a lot cheaper but I think the troubleshooting issue is a deal breaker so I'll rethink. Thanks

7 Posts

July 27th, 2020 23:00

Thanks for the reply. With my last XPS laptop I had several hardware issues covered under warranty that needed on site support. Would they insist I restore Linux before helping with those sorts of issues?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 28th, 2020 04:00

They can require that, yes.  And were a repair necessary such as a replacement drive, that's what they'd leave installed.

7 Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

Thank you for your reply. 

7 Posts

July 29th, 2020 03:00

Thanks for the detailed reply. The offer has ended in the store but if it comes back I'll buy one I think. 

Cheers

No Events found!