Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2015 13:00

Ask the Expert: Top Tips & Tricks to Rock Your XtremIO World

Welcome to an all new

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Experts: EMC Isilon technical content and documentation

Ask the Expert: Best Practices – 7.x Installation and Upgrade

https://community.emc.com/message/901227

EMC Community Network Ask the Expert conversation. For two weeks, beginning July 20th, our panel will show you how to make the most of your XtremIO system. Our panel of technical experts will share best practices of configuration, operation and management, and will be here to answer your specific questions. To get started, check out the Top 10 Tips & Tricks for XtremIO document that we featured at EMC World.

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=8640&size=350

Twitter:

@jamesrthrone

Jim Throne

Director, Global Systems Engineering - EMC

Jim is an IT Professional for over 20 years, including 15 at EMC. Strong background in UNIX system administration and NAS. Currently based in Michigan.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9732&size=350

Twitter:

@johnvarghese

John Varghese

Global Systems Engineer - EMC

John prior to EMC was with NetApp for 6 years functioning as a Principal Solutions Architect focused on design and implementation of the the full NetApp solution stack supporting various applications such as Oracle, Vmware, and Microsoft. Previously, he was with a Reseller for 3 years supporting a multitude of storage and backup products including EMC, HP, Hitachi, Commvault and Netbackup.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=14133&size=350

Twitter:

@Denypatel

Global SE - EMC

Deny joined the EMC team with over 15 years of experience in Cloud Computing, Virtualization, Storage and Networking in wide variety of Pre-Sales and Engineering roles. Most recently he was with Nimble storage where he served as an Escalation Engineer helping high profile accounts resolve performance problems that were introduced by poor VDI, Network and Virtualized designed environments.

This discussion takes place from July 20th - August 1st August 7th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Join our Ask the Expert: Top Tips & Tricks to Rock Your XtremIO World http://bit.ly/1H4PcU8  #EMCATE <<

July 20th, 2015 07:00

This Ask the Expert session is now open for questions. For the next couple of weeks our Subject Matter Experts will be around to reply to your questions, comments or inquiries about our topic. Let’s make this conversation useful, respectful and entertaining for all. Enjoy!

2 Posts

July 20th, 2015 11:00

Hi Expert Panel,

Do all of the "Host-Side Best Practices" (HBA queue depth, Round Robin, etc) apply when a host running vSphere (Cisco UCS let's say) is zoned/connected to an XtremIO volume through VPLEX, as opposed to directly connected to an XtremIO array?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2015 21:00

Hello Roberto,

I have a some general enquiries from customer. Basically, we are setting up an environment with XtremIO and VMware cluster servers. The software running on the VMware is Compuware which requires a 2.5Gb/s or higher throughput. for the 4 XBlock, what would be the consideration or best practice to follow to achieve this.

I have been searching best practices for XtremIO, however, the information I have so far are the top hints, host configuration guide, there have been no in depth whitepaper in regards performance tuning. Do we have anything from support or engineering?

thanks very much for your help.

Yixing Qiu

yixing.qiu@emc.com

727 Posts

July 21st, 2015 12:00

If the host is connected through a VPLEX, you should be following the best practices recommended for VPLEX.

727 Posts

July 21st, 2015 12:00

There is no performance tuning as such that you need to do on the array itself. A lot of that is already built in. Some of the high level performance data is available in the XtremIO data sheets.

Work with your XtremIO account team to discuss the workload details (r/w ratio, IO sizes, parallelism, etc) for more specific performance sizing.

727 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 20:00

GUI has an option to see the performance data going back to 2 years.

• 

6.5K Posts

thanks Avi ! Would this be only from 4.0 ? and can you tell me from where ? I could not find where I can set ...

thanks !

Aya

727 Posts

Yes, this is applicable only from 4.0 release (and onwards). You should be able to see this option in the main dashboard (as a drop down list). I will try to send you a screenshot if you are not able to find it.

• 

6.5K Posts

HI

About performance monitor , can we check last 2years record in version4 ? as release notes says below .  

Improved Data Collection and Reporting

Data is retained for up to two years and has variable granularity, according to the

data age. The lowest sample granularity is 5 seconds.

If so , how can we set to check last 2years performance data ?

thanks !

Aya

• 

6.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 22:00

hi ...

thanks for the reply !

like this ?

xio.png

I found in event setting for 2years but it does not affect above performance date ....

io1.jpg

So I am begging to think the records can be kept for 2years ,this is only for event /alerts ... Not for performance report ... ???

• 

6.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 23:00

hi experts !

Is there any customer viewrable documents how to set PMI tunneling setting ? From4.0 version , there is change that management IPMI mode are no longer supported .. there is only IPMI connection via SP  .( Only  Support for IPMI connection via SP )

thanks !

Aya

727 Posts

July 23rd, 2015 13:00

We do maintain performance history also for up to two years.

The main dashboard will not show the two years of performance history. However, you can see that by exporting the performance stats using the export-performance-history command.

727 Posts

1. 1. You cannot install new components inside the vXMS. Note that the array would not stop data processing even though you lose the XMS for any reason. Typically, customers have used VMware DRS to protect the vXMS – just like you would protect any other VM.

2. 2. Typically, we recommend using RestAPI for automation scripts. It has much more flexibility and a commitment from our side to maintain backward compatibility. Your scripts based on CLI might break if there is a change in the output structure in one of the future releases.

3. 3. The cluster would internally generate a PIN and this is never exposed through any user interface. As you noted, if there is a concern with changing it – we can always re-encrypt it and the cluster will generate a new key.

4. 4. There is a VSPEX reference architecture based on XenServer (and many other collaterals). Check XtremIO.com for the most up to date collaterals. Or your EMC account team should have these links.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

As a proud owner of a 1 day old XtremIO installation i would like to ask some "operational" questions

1) How to protect vXMS, can i back it up with Avamar ?  ( I do see that VMware tools are not installed)

2) Output format from xmcli commands - let's just say that there has to be a way to specify which columns you want to display.  Unless you have a monitor that supports 3840x2160 resolution, columns wrap around and it's impossible to read anything.  Am i the first the complain ?

3) Encryption PIN - I was sitting next to my ASE during install and i don't remember being prompted to enter a phrase or anything like that. So what is the PIN and how is it derived (i understand it can be changed even with customer data on the cluster)

4) I don't see any best practices/recommendations for Xen Server environment, anything you have to share ?

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2015 14:00

Hi Avi,

1) VMware HA is not backups, you and I know that. My vXMS resides on a VNX LUN, in an unlikely VNX pool corruption i would like to recover my VM and and not start from scratch, loosing my historical performance data.  Really, no one has asked to protect vXMS ?

2) So the answer is no, we have to deal with this clunky, unreadable output. Why even offer it ?

3) I wanted to make sure this was not based on a pass-phrase (like in Data Domain encryption for example), where i provide the string that can be used to lock/unlock encryption.

4) Couldn't find much online but some old references on Itzikr's blog. I am looking for something official.

Thanks

No Events found!