Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2015 13:00

Ask the Expert: Top Tips & Tricks to Rock Your XtremIO World

Welcome to an all new

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Experts: EMC Isilon technical content and documentation

Ask the Expert: Best Practices – 7.x Installation and Upgrade

https://community.emc.com/message/901227

EMC Community Network Ask the Expert conversation. For two weeks, beginning July 20th, our panel will show you how to make the most of your XtremIO system. Our panel of technical experts will share best practices of configuration, operation and management, and will be here to answer your specific questions. To get started, check out the Top 10 Tips & Tricks for XtremIO document that we featured at EMC World.

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=8640&size=350

Twitter:

@jamesrthrone

Jim Throne

Director, Global Systems Engineering - EMC

Jim is an IT Professional for over 20 years, including 15 at EMC. Strong background in UNIX system administration and NAS. Currently based in Michigan.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9732&size=350

Twitter:

@johnvarghese

John Varghese

Global Systems Engineer - EMC

John prior to EMC was with NetApp for 6 years functioning as a Principal Solutions Architect focused on design and implementation of the the full NetApp solution stack supporting various applications such as Oracle, Vmware, and Microsoft. Previously, he was with a Reseller for 3 years supporting a multitude of storage and backup products including EMC, HP, Hitachi, Commvault and Netbackup.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=14133&size=350

Twitter:

@Denypatel

Global SE - EMC

Deny joined the EMC team with over 15 years of experience in Cloud Computing, Virtualization, Storage and Networking in wide variety of Pre-Sales and Engineering roles. Most recently he was with Nimble storage where he served as an Escalation Engineer helping high profile accounts resolve performance problems that were introduced by poor VDI, Network and Virtualized designed environments.

This discussion takes place from July 20th - August 1st August 7th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Join our Ask the Expert: Top Tips & Tricks to Rock Your XtremIO World http://bit.ly/1H4PcU8  #EMCATE <<

• 

6.5K Posts

August 6th, 2015 18:00

Hi Guys ....

Does anybody know roadmap for XtremIO support about  SAN boot with UEFI mode  ?

If VM and Hyoer-V has different date for support , let me know as well.

thanks !

aya

727 Posts

August 6th, 2015 19:00

The answer depends on the HBA type and sector size. Some of them have already been tested, some of the other ones are being tested as we speak. Contact your EMC account team for the detailed information on this.

• 

6.5K Posts

August 6th, 2015 20:00

thanks  Avi ! I will !

August 10th, 2015 15:00

This Ask the Expert event has officially ended, but don't let that retract you from asking more questions. At this point our SME are still welcomed to answer and continue the discussion though not required. Here is where we ask our community members to chime in and assist other users if they're able to provide information.

Many thanks to our SMEs who selflessly made themselves available to answer questions. We also appreciate our users for taking part of the discussion and ask so many interesting questions.

ATE events are made for your benefit as members of ECN. If you’re interested in pitching a topic or Subject Matter Experts we would be interested in hearing it. To learn more on what it takes to start an event please visit our Ask the Expert Program Space on ECN.

522 Posts

September 14th, 2015 08:00

dynamox  - did you ever get the SANCopy LUN WWPN resolved from this thread and figure it out? Just curious since I don't think I saw an answer to your last question unless I glanced over it.

Just curious what the command you used was in the end to create the push session from VNX to XtremIO?

thanks!

727 Posts

September 14th, 2015 09:00

One way to create the SAN Copy connection is to use the port WWN and the LUN number.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 14th, 2015 20:00

echolaughmk wrote:

dynamo - did you ever get the SANCopy LUN WWPN resolved from this thread and figure it out? Just curious since I don't think I saw an answer to your last question unless I glanced over it.

Just curious what the command you used was in the end to create the push session from VNX to XtremIO?

thanks!

Avi still owes me an answer on how to look up volume WWN (full 32 digit number). In the mean time one of my platforms is able to display the full WWN ( Avi says inq 7.6. should display that full WWN as well). So my session create and initial copy commands look like this:

naviseccli -address vnx5600spa sancopy -create -incremental -name 00432toLUN0004 -srcwwn 60:06:01:60:92:00:3A:00:A3:4D:16:DE:EE:B2:E4:11 -destwwn 51:4f:0c:57:a2:00:00:1e:02:00:00:06:4b:55:4e:30 -throttle 8 -verify -o

naviseccli -address vnx5600spa sancopy -start -name 00432toLUN0004 -copywholelun -nomark all

522 Posts

September 15th, 2015 04:00

Thank you dynamox - that was exactly what I was looking for as I prepare to use SANCopy to migrate from a VNX to XtremIO.

Avi - any idea on what can be used to gain the LUN WWN through the XtremIO GUI or CLI? I might not have the luxury of having syminq at my disposal to get the WWNs and not sure if the generic inq utility will work so would like to not have to rely on additional software to set this up. I realize from the guide that the port WWN and LUN number of the destination array (XtremIO) can be used as well, I would just prefer to do it with WWNs as the traditional way of setting these up.

thanks!

-Keith

727 Posts

September 15th, 2015 21:00

Dynamox – as we discussed, I am waiting to see an output of the contents of Page 83 from your array. This would hopefully help determine how you were able to get the longer format (32 digit) of the LUN WWN for XtremIO LUN.

The basic problem is this: SAN Copy seems to need a 32 digit LUN WWN, but the XtremIO LUN only has 16 digits in the WWN. SAN Copy would therefore not accept the shorter WWN format “as is”.

The other option of course is to use the port WWN along with the LUN ID – which we know will work.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 16th, 2015 21:00

Avi wrote:

Dynamox – as we discussed, I am waiting to see an output of the contents of Page 83 from your array. This would hopefully help determine how you were able to get the longer format (32 digit) of the LUN WWN for XtremIO LUN.

working on that. I am still surprised your R&D people do not know how i get the full WWN. Obviously it's there because i did not make it up.

Avi wrote:

The basic problem is this: SAN Copy seems to need a 32 digit LUN WWN, but the XtremIO LUN only has 16 digits in the WWN. SAN Copy would therefore not accept the shorter WWN format “as is”.

no, you choose to diplay only 16 digits where it's apperent there are 32 digits that i am able to retrieve from your array.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 29th, 2015 07:00

Avi,

A couple of days ago in provided you the information you were looking for (in the private message). Did you see it ?

1 Message

November 15th, 2018 08:00

vVOLs supported with X2?

No Events found!