Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2014 18:00

Can I expand an XtremIO cluster w/o loosing my data?

If I need to scale my XtremIO from one node to two or four will I have to move my data somewhere else or is my data preserved.  I understand that expansion is off-line, but it was not clear if I have to move my data before the expansion.  If I have to move my data what is the read and write throughput I'd expect -- I'm using 10Gig ethernet for data connection.

727 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 14:00

Data-in-place expansion of XtremIO arrays (using additional X-Bricks) is not supported today. This means that you will need to move your data before the expansion.

12 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 13:00

No answer -- can anyone jump in?

June 23rd, 2014 13:00

Did you get an answer to this one? If so, can you post the answer, I'm interested in the result. Appreciate it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 4th, 2014 02:00

Avi answer is correct, however if you have a half brick you can upgrade to a full brick without loosing data

14 Posts

July 7th, 2014 05:00

Can you link to the documentation where you found the details around the half-to-full brick "upgrade" process?

And to clarify, you don't LOSE any data regardless of the upgrade, but the process to go from a single brick to 2 or 4 requires some "data mobility" to get off the original XIO array and then to spread the data back across the newer/upgraded, bigger XIO array.

Thanks,

Steve

727 Posts

July 7th, 2014 12:00

The documentation for upgrading a Starter X-Brick to a full X-Brick would be available around mid-July at https://support.emc.com

2.1K Posts

July 29th, 2014 10:00

I'm not sure the subtlety of the question of "losing" data is really clear. As I understand it if you don't put the data somewhere else before you upgrade you WILL lose the data. By having to "back it up" somewhere else, then put it back after... I still consider that "losing data" from the perspective of the array. It makes it difficult to consider this platform yet for our environment because growth is almost guaranteed.

727 Posts

July 29th, 2014 12:00

I would recommend working with your EMC account team and there are some business processes to get around this, while we are working on providing the feature of online cluster expansion in a future release.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 29th, 2014 12:00

Thanks Avi. I've been engaged with the Jeremy Debache but wanted to take advantage of this resource for additional and other insights.

Sent from my iPhone

No Events found!