How to integrate XtremIO into an exisitng RecoverPoint and VNX environment

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have a few questions about integrating an XtremIO into an existing RPA / VNX environment.

There is currently a single RPA system consisting of two four-node clusters - production and DR. The RPAs are replicating from VNX5600 (production) to VNX5400 (DR). A new XtremIO is being introduced in production and has to be replicated to DR VNX5400 using the existing RPA system. RPAs are running code 4.1SP2.

As far as I understand, the following has to happen for the replication from XtremIO to VNX5400 to happen:

1. Convert RP/SE to RP/EX. New EX licensing has to be applied also. I believe it is non disruptive, and can be done via RP DM, can't it?
  2. RP system has to be upgraded to the latest code 4.4.
  3. XtremIO has to be registered with RP system. Not sure how that is done, since it is not using a splitter. There a few docs, but they are all discussing how the replication works for XIO and RP, not discussing how to integrate the two. Is there a document that describes the integration steps?
  4. Then I can configure replication. However, how should I approach sizing my target VNX, if I want for example to replicate a 2TB volume from XIO? How big should I make a journal volume - is it still the same 20% rule if the change rate is unknown, or it is different? The target volume on VNX has to be 2TB or larger I suppose, isn't it?

Appreciate your input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
echolaughmk
3 Silver

Re: How to integrate XtremIO into an exisitng RecoverPoint and VNX environment

Jump to solution

Hi,

On your XtremIO box you will just need the journal volumes if you want them to come from that array. The journal volumes can come from either of the arrays at this site since you will have multiple arrays. In terms of size for failover, that technote doc will also talk about the changes in replication mode upon failback when you use snap based replication at the source and vnx splitter at the target so take a look at that so you know what mode to flip to in a failover. When it is snap based replication the XtremIO as a target still needs a journal, but it can be minimal for the config and be 10GB.

If this is an existing RP cluster there isn't a requirement for a repository volume because one already exists for the cluster, likely on your VNX. If you plan to remove the VNX from the environment then the XtremIO will need to hold the repo volume and you will have to migrate it there.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
echolaughmk
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Hi, here are some answers/comments:

1. Yes - it is NDU and the DM is used to do it. There is a section in the Deployment Manager guide that talks about this process.

2. 4.4 is the latest RP code and I would suggest it given some of the enhancements with XtremIO, but 4.1 SP2 is technically supported with XtremIO as well.

3. Check out the RP Deployment with XtremIO TechNotes - this will explain the integration, which is essentially adding the array in the array management section and giving it the user/passwd to the XMS IP.

4. If VNX is the target and you plan utilize continuous snapshots then it will stay the same in terms of the sizing like you have above with the 20% RoT. The replica will have to be the same size as the source.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you. On the source - which is XtremIO, I will also need journal and repository volumes, won't I? Repository to install the cluster, journal - if the failover occurs, and XIO becomes the replication target, correct?

0 Kudos
echolaughmk
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Hi,

On your XtremIO box you will just need the journal volumes if you want them to come from that array. The journal volumes can come from either of the arrays at this site since you will have multiple arrays. In terms of size for failover, that technote doc will also talk about the changes in replication mode upon failback when you use snap based replication at the source and vnx splitter at the target so take a look at that so you know what mode to flip to in a failover. When it is snap based replication the XtremIO as a target still needs a journal, but it can be minimal for the config and be 10GB.

If this is an existing RP cluster there isn't a requirement for a repository volume because one already exists for the cluster, likely on your VNX. If you plan to remove the VNX from the environment then the XtremIO will need to hold the repo volume and you will have to migrate it there.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks again. Appreciate it.

0 Kudos