dynamox
6 Thallium

Re: How to "refresh" a snapshot using CLI?

Jump to solution

Marvin,

i am a symcli guy myself so i am trying to translate what you are doing in the script to solutions enabler terminology ..so that that i understand that volume refresh works in XtremIO. In Timefinder/Snap i would simply create/activate my STD/VDEV pairing to give me my snapshot, later one if it needed to be re-freshed i would recreate/active.  I am trying to understand why do we have to play this game with creating new snapshot , rename current to old and then rename new to current. I assume this does not change snapshot volume WWN and AIX does not need to be rescanned and all its hdisk/hdiskpower go nuts ?

0 Kudos
Dirio_Candeias
1 Copper

Jump to solution

you assume correctly. Snapshot WWN and mapping stays the same so for the host it's just unmap, refresh snapshot , map. The only thing that changes it's the snapshot name on the xtremIO so we have to do this "game" of creating/rename in order to be able to rerun the script automatically everyday.

0 Kudos
CFrank2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Any ETA on when this patch will be out? I'm doing implementations now where customers want this functionality.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
marvin_keys
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

According to my EMC SE, this patch should have been available yesterday (12/16/15).

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

The patch was pushed out by a few days and we are waiting for a new GA date.

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Dynamox – think of a refresh operation as consisting of a source (or “from") volume and a target (or “to”) volume. Currently, the code behaves such that you cannot use the same command repeatedly to refresh the same target volumes from the same source volumes. This is being fixed in the next service pack for XtremIO.

0 Kudos
mhageness
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Avi,

I've been following this thread and I was curious if you will be posting when the Patch is available to EMC customers?  Any word on a release date as well?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

We are in the final stages – still waiting for an exact date though. In general, your XtremIO Sales/SE should have the most up to date information on this. We do communicate these details with them.

0 Kudos
CFrank2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I see that 4.0.2-65 was released on 12/27/15, but while browsing through the release notes I didn't notice any changes for REST APIs. However, I did see a new 4.0.2 REST API guide published, but didn't notice any difference in snapshotting behavior. Do you have any info on this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CFrank2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I installed 4.0.2-65 on our lab XtremIO and have been trying to get this functionality to work, but I'm not getting anywhere. It's behavior hasn't changed from 4.0.1. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't think this is it. Here's an example of my code:

Curl -X POST -d '{"cluster-id":1,"from-consistency-group-id":2,"to-snapshot-set-id":12,"no-backup"}' -u username:password -k -s https://XMS-IP/api/json/v2/types/snapshots

The command still creates a new snapshot-set and new snaps, leaving the old ones there. I've tried adding the "no-backup" option but then I get an error code 400, "Invalid request."

0 Kudos