Highlighted
8 Krypton

How to split a 2 x-brick into seperate clusters?

Jump to solution

Greetings, I am wondering if it's possible to divide a 2 xbrick system into 2 separate single xbrick XIO cluster.

Currently, the XMS detects 4 SC's.

What cables do I need to disconnect? Do I need to disable the infiniband switch? Do I need to put the 2 SC on xbrick 1 and the 2 SC on xbrick 2 to 2 separate vlans/subnets? Do I then need to deploy 2 separate XMS VM's?

Please let me know. This is in order to use our current XIO for 2 separate lab setups.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: How to split a 2 x-brick into seperate clusters?

Jump to solution

It's not possible to split a dual brick into two single bricks - for a few reasons.

The first is the physical reason - you don't have enough components!  Both a single and dual brick use 2 BBU's for redundancy.  Thus if you were to split the array, you'd be short 2 BBU units as you'd need 4, but you only have 2.

The second is the logical reason - the two bricks currently share a serial number.  If you were to split them they would both share the same serial number, which is not allowed and will confuse a lot of thing - including giving you duplicate WWPN's as of version 4.0!

2 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

This is not possible to my knowledge. The PSNT number set at the factory is across both bricks that make up the cluster and I don't believe it is possible to perform any factory reset or burn-in of a new PSNT serial when they are split up regardless of being able to discard the IB switches and connect the IB cables directly across SC's.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

It's not possible to split a dual brick into two single bricks - for a few reasons.

The first is the physical reason - you don't have enough components!  Both a single and dual brick use 2 BBU's for redundancy.  Thus if you were to split the array, you'd be short 2 BBU units as you'd need 4, but you only have 2.

The second is the logical reason - the two bricks currently share a serial number.  If you were to split them they would both share the same serial number, which is not allowed and will confuse a lot of thing - including giving you duplicate WWPN's as of version 4.0!