Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 9th, 2016 18:00

Not able to load Rescue image

After performing Factory reset on XIO Operation system was wiped and not able to load using rescue image 4.0.0-49 , is there a specific image that needs to be used?

18 Posts

February 10th, 2016 12:00

Hi iescaleira, I believe we chatted over email. Please let me know if the document provided has proven to assist you with this. We obtained this from engineering and it is classified as internal only for EMC use. For any others experiencing this "Xtremapp-install failed with exit code 8", please reach out to EMC Support for the "Revert Image Procedure."

522 Posts

February 10th, 2016 13:00

Was the initial issue related to choosing the option to "Reset to Factory Setup" on the Storage Controller?

If so, what does this task perform and is it expected that you can't re-image from USB after running this? I'm just trying to qualify what the expected outcome of choosing that option is since there is the documentation is extremely limited and vague about many of those SC options....even for registered deployment partners.

Thanks Chris.

-Keith

18 Posts

Normally, no as long as you're going to the same version of code or newer. I'm not sure if the issue is also experienced if the cluster was previously encrypted and you are attempting to re-format with the same version of code or newer.

There are very few instances where you would need to reformat to factory or recovery image. Most likely, this need comes from implementation issues or mistakes like I encountered mentioned above.

18 Posts

Hi Keith,

The EMC employee who posted this discussion is a member of our lab engineering team at corporate. They may needed to reformat for testing purposes or encountered issues during R&D for their own processes that resulted in a reformat need.

I encountered this issue just weeks ago on a cluster that was encrypted and we needed to re-format and re-initialize due to incorrect code being loaded. The code that was loaded was a higher-rev than what would have been supported based on the hosts and the vplex at the time. I was brought in a PS resource after the fact to assist with migration and downgrade of the XtremIO.

The revert image process is an internal document that details how to create a bootable USB to unlock and reformat all SSDs for the local storage controllers and DAEs. Currently, it is an internal document as downgrading a XtremIO cluster is not supported and is disruptive. During cluster creation, the SSDs undergo a firmware upgrade. If a higher-rev code is mistakenly loaded, this procedure may be needed to correct that. Luckily, I was able to work with the customer to non-disruptively migrate the data via VPLEX and then work with local EMC techs to follow this procedure.

Thanks,

Chris

522 Posts

OK...thanks. So there is no issue choosing the "reset to factory setup" option on an SC if doing something like re-installing a cluster form scratch?

522 Posts

great...thanks for the explanations...appreciate it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 11th, 2016 17:00

Chris,

Thank you for providing the Revert-Image procedure , After running the procedure I was able to reload the Storage controllers and the Cluster is now up and running.

No Events found!