Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2015 13:00

Question on unit size of returned API data "bw" and "wr|rd-bw"

Hi There,

I'm currently working on building a monitoring solution using XtremIO's RESTful API and I've run into a value that seem a bit.. overly optimistic...

I'm currently pulling the "bw", "wr-bw" and "rd-wb" counters down for performance data.  In the API documentation it notes these are "Cluster's total realtime * bandwidth, in MB per second".  The number I'm getting back is quite a bit higher than I was expecting so I wanted to see if perhaps the unit is wrong in the documentation or if I'm just underestimate the products abilities.

Here's what I'm see returned:

"bw": "300871",

"wr-bw": "259704",

"rd-bw": "41167",

System Specs:

1 Cluster

4 X-Bricks

100 SSDs

System is currently supporting a VDI infra.

So if the above values are accurate the system is currently using nearly 300gb/s of bandwidth.  That number just seems a lot higher than I would have expected.  Am I just misunderstanding what the system can do or should I be converting the unit differently?

Thanks

727 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 13:00

The easiest thing to check would be the XtremIO GUI and see if you are seeing similar numbers in the main dashboard.

Which code version are you running on XtremIO? What are the IOPs numbers being reported in RestAPI?

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 14:00

I should have thought of that!

It looks like my suspicions were correct, the API reports 256395 and I'm seeing ~250mb/s in the GUI.  It looks like the documentation is wrong and the API is returning KB/s which would be inline with all the other counters.  I don't currently have a support contact with EMC directly but I'll see if my client can contact them to confirm.

727 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 14:00

Do you know which XtremIO version are you running?

No Events found!