Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2015 11:00

Renaming RP CG's in XMS

Any issues with renaming the auto-created CG's in the XMS GUI when RecoverPoint is involved? I am assuming the answer is no since it provide the option in the GUI, but curious if it will adversely affect any cleanup or recovery activities that might be dependent on the initial CG name.

Thanks.

727 Posts

August 11th, 2015 14:00

You can go ahead and rename the consistency groups on the XtremIO side – if having the same name was important, we would not have allowed you to change it

522 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

haha...thanks. I figured...but in my many years doing this I have seen otherwise so never hurts to check. Thanks for the validation! What would be nice is if it could inherit the CG name from RP that was created or have an option to push that through in the RP GUI when creating CG's....in case you are taking enhancement requests

727 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

Agreed – never hurts to check!

And thanks for the feedback – I will pass it on to the relevant product managers.

522 Posts

February 4th, 2016 09:00

Avi,

I wanted to re-visit this thread since upgrading to RP 4.4 and XtremIO 4.0.2 where logging in as the local admin user to the GUI produces an error trying to rename the CG's because they are owned by the rp_user - is this expected in these new versions to be locked down? I haven't seen anything documented in this area so wanted to check. This had worked previously with RP 4.1.2 and 4.0.1 code.

Thanks for your help.

-Keith

727 Posts

February 4th, 2016 18:00

Just so that I understand this right – are you trying to rename the consistency group created through RecoverPoint in the XtremIO GUI (when you are logged in as local admin)?

522 Posts

February 4th, 2016 18:00

Correct...in the XtremIO GUI. This error is new since the upgrades.

522 Posts

February 6th, 2016 06:00

Hi Avi,

Just checking in to see if you happened to have an update on this?

thanks!

-Keith

727 Posts

February 6th, 2016 19:00

No updates yet, I am following up with R&D and will provide an update as soon as I have it.

522 Posts

February 7th, 2016 06:00

Great...thanks. Look forward to the answer.

727 Posts

February 8th, 2016 20:00

Hi Keith,

I could not find any change done in 4.0.2 release vis-a-vis Consistency Group permissions. In any case, the general recommendation is that the CG created by RecoverPoint should not be managed on the XtremIO side by the end user. The CG is created by the user 'rp_user' and in general other users are not allowed to manage it (and the same thing for the snapshots created by RecoverPoint). If you want to manage the volumes in a CG, you should create another CG using a regular user in XtremIO and then work with that CG through the user that created that CG. Note that a volume can be a part of up to four CGs.

If you were able to change the CG name earlier, were you using the 'rp_user' or something else on the RecoverPoint side?

Hope this helps.

522 Posts

February 9th, 2016 04:00

OK...so this is the opposite of your initial answer that I asked a while back when I was able to change it. I suggest to update the documentation with whatever answer is correct so that end users are not confused.

In the past, I was able to rename it with the admin account in the XtremIO GUI. I would also suggest an enhancement to allow end users to change this to make it something intuitive. I'm OK with not having the ability to manage the snapshots created by RP as that makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback and clarification.

727 Posts

February 9th, 2016 13:00

Apologies for the confusion. I will clarify with the documentation folks.

No Events found!