joshmcu
1 Copper

Re: SMTP server password requirement and testing email functionality

Jump to solution

I've found as a workaround you can leave username blank and just put random characters in the password field.

dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

and you are able to send emails through your SMTP server ?

0 Kudos
jedmonson
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wow.....this actually works good catch!

0 Kudos
brettesinclair
3 Silver

Jump to solution

While it may allow you to save the config, it doesn't allow the notifications to be sent, as it will then try and auth to the SMTP server, which will fail.

If you change over to the CLI Terminal after setting it and then type in send-email-notification text="Test"

Unless you have set valid credentials, you won't get the notification.

For now, I'm using some valid credentials and they work fine. Don't have time to get the update installed.

0 Kudos
jedmonson
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was able to set the username to blank and entered in 2 characters for the password, save the config and I am now receiving alerts from XIO.

0 Kudos
blubud
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So I tried this and  send the test emails worked but yesterday we simulated a Storage controller failure and received no alerts. Is there an option I missing as to what type of alerts need to be emailed or something?

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Silver

Jump to solution

I would recommend working with EMC Support to further identify the root cause. As long as you have followed the instructions to setup the email notifier properly, you should be getting these alerts in email.

0 Kudos
blubud
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks got it figured out.  I had to set up event handlers to use email notification.

0 Kudos
PGK1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

can you please share how you setup event handlers to receive email notifications

0 Kudos
echolaughmk
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Avi - has this bug been fixed in the latest codes do you know? I can't find it in the release notes so even if we are setting up the handlers for our customers, are we still requiring the user/passwd combo until there is a fix in the future?

0 Kudos