Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2015 22:00

Snapshot Management Application

Hey everyone,

When we deployed our XIO recently, I was somewhat annoyed to find that there wasn't an application available for at least managing the snapshots. I wrote an application called XSnapCourier which I will be open sourcing. Also going to look at creating a vApp for it. Makes things a little easier in the long run.

Trying to gauge what the interest in the application would be. Might be that i go through all the work and no one ever downloads it haha

727 Posts

AppSync allows you to take application consistent snapshots and schedule it (and much more). See a blog on this functionality at http://www.xtremio.com/xtremio-appsync-magic-for-application-owners.

If you are looking for the native capability to schedule snapshots from an XtremIO perspective, I would recommend that you reach out to your EMC account team and ask them for a roadmap update for XtremIO. We have some exciting things coming in the next release. Unfortunately, I cannot discuss roadmap items in a public forum like this one.

8 Posts

It's a mechanism for scheduling your snapshots by volume or eventually by folder. Just to keep a consistent schedule of snapshots. The only difference is that this will be open source, as opposed to having to buy the appsync license.

Basically the way it works is you would define a data type which contains a target volume, snap schedule and retention schedule (1 day / 2 week). Thus it would automatically snapshot daily and purge that snapshot after 2 weeks.

727 Posts

Can you provide more details of what you mean by "managing the snapshots"? I would recommend looking at an EMC product called AppSync which I think does what you are trying to do with XtremIO snapshots.

8 Posts

March 26th, 2015 08:00

I have finished generalizing the application and it is now available for download. If you go the original URL http://www.xsnapcourier.com, you can click the download link and access it as well as installation documentation.

No Events found!