Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 28th, 2015 11:00

XtremIO Migration

HI All,

We got a 6 X-Brick XtremIO cluster and we planning to Migrate the data from our current VNX 5700 to XtremIO. We are thinking to use PPME tool to migrate the Data (All servers are windows 2008 standalone and 2008 clusters). Can anyone please share their experience on what other tools would be best to perform the Migration from VNX (everything is block storage)  to XtremIO

727 Posts

May 28th, 2015 11:00

You can also use SAN Copy to push the data from VNX to XtremIO.

522 Posts

May 29th, 2015 08:00

23 Posts

May 29th, 2015 08:00

Thanks Avi,

Is there any documentation/process which gives more information on how to use Migration (Push option) from a VNX to XtremIO?

June 17th, 2015 11:00

bump!

Looking forward to people sharing their experiences .

I've had my customers migrate from Vmax to ExtremIO  . They storage Vmotioned to the ExtremIO .

23 Posts

June 17th, 2015 13:00

Thanks all for the inputs .

We decided to use PPME 5.7 sp2 utility to do host based migration. Source LUN's are from VNX and target XtremIO .

Its a Windows 2008 standalone server that we are going to perform a migration.

Below are some highlevel steps planned for migration are there any other things/parameters/steps (need to be taken) that i need to be aware during the Migration process?

1. Assigning new storage to the server.
  2. Setting up the PowerPath Migration Enabler Host Copy sessions
  3. Starting and monitoring the sessions.
  4. Once the initial sync completes: switch over to your target storage.
  5. Finalize and clean-up.

727 Posts

June 17th, 2015 13:00

VMAX customers can also use Open Replicator to push data to XtremIO (for migration).

522 Posts

June 17th, 2015 16:00

That should do it....there used to be a PPME Windows guide but I don't think it has been updated so you can just follow the PPME user guide...but your steps above should be it at a high-level. You can throttle the host-copy sessions if needed during the sync.

23 Posts

June 19th, 2015 13:00

Thank you all for the feedback.

Regarding zoning of the server to XIO, there are two HBA's on the server where one HBA going to A fabric and other HBA going to B fabric. And on the XIO ( 6 X -Brick) there are 12 XIO ports going to A fabric and 12 XIO ports going to B fabric. So when i did the zoning each device allocated to the server will be seeing 24 paths (One HBA zoned to 12 XIO ports on each fabric A and B)  . Can someone please let me know if this is as per standards/Normal? or do i need to modify any zoning. Server is a Windows 2008.

23 Posts

June 19th, 2015 14:00

Hi Dynamox,

I was under the impression that to get better performance we need to zone the host to all the X-brick Ports. As i said we have 6 X brick cluster so i zoned the host to the 6 X-Bricks ports. If this is not a best practice for how many X bricks i should be zoning the server?

727 Posts

Check the XtremIO documentation on the Support website. It goes into these details and discusses various scenarios.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

why would you zone so many paths ? There is a maximum number of initiators per cluster (512), you will burn through that number pretty fast if you start zoning so many paths.

23 Posts

June 20th, 2015 07:00

Migration has been kicked and seems to be running fine. I have a question regarding the OS Boot LUN. On the windows 2008 server there is a OS LUN which is booting from SAN (VNX) and can i use same PPME tool to migrate the OS boot LUN to XIO volumes? or Are there any other methods i need to use to Migrate a OS boot LUN? Please suggest.

June 20th, 2015 11:00

I believe PPME doesn't support boot lun migrations.

You can use SAN Copy

23 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 07:00

Thanks All for the feedback.

I was able to Migrate all the data except for the boot LUN using PPME tool. Everything was online and went smooth. I was reading some forums on how to migrate a Boot LUN to another new LUN and it seems its not possible with any of the block based tools. Are there any other ways to make this happen( Migrating boot LUN (which is on VNX) to a new LUN ( on XIO) .

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 07:00

SANCopy (which is a block based tool), not online of course.

No Events found!